Bubble Percentage

Judge

Looking at a new 2002 lemans but after researching here have discovered the bubble paint issue. still left with some questions.

What is the percentage of 2002 models with black engines that have the bubbling issue? all of them? does anyone have a 2002 without bubbles? also how long is it before the bubbles start to show up (mileage wise)?

Guest Jeff Kelland

Mine started at about 2000 miles, real slow at first in the corners by the webs, it's all falling off at 9500. I just sent some digital photo's and filled in the recall form so the dealer can order the new cases. I chewed this over for awhile as to whether I wanted to take apart a perfectly healthy engine or not, but in the end I'm going to. I could live with the bad paint but none of what they offered instead interested me. I really like this motorcycle and it may as well look good because I'm going to have it for awhile. :mg:

Judge

I've got a black Le Mans (bought new 5 months ago but a 2002 model) which has no bubbling as yet (4,600 miles), some of these miles were in tremendous heat on German Autobahns so its certainly got very very hot but there's still time yet for the old bubbling to occur :( . I guess from what I've heard, the chances are you will get some problems with bubbling but it comes down to a personal decision: lust and price versus cosmetics.

Before I bought the bike I knew of the bubbling problem but went ahead anyway as I love it and it was a bargain :bike: .

Mal :helmet:

I have a 2002 Scura with only 1100 miles (a back injury has limited my riding this year) and my engine looks like it has warts when warm. I even have peeling paint on the crank case cover which my dealer noted would be taken care of this winter. I opting to have the negine redone versus the gear, I'll take my chances.

I will bring up the paint issue as a point of price negotiation for sure - see what kind of bargains can be had. looks like I may as well plan on having problems with paint and be pleasantly surprised if I dont...

....dunno, but every one I've seen has the condition eventually(by ~5000 miles) :unsure:

Not all of them. Mine has 12k on it and no bubbling yet :notworthy:

Bubble Bubble toil and trouble.

Lots of bubbles.

Well only a little toil, cam cover leaked twice.

But no trouble.

... Tiny bubbles.... Sorry I'm in a singing mood, think Don Ho.

:drink:

Guest JohnInNH

Russ.... I wonder if it has to do with it being so dry in TX. I thought my Le Mans was not going to have the blistering paint issue, but it has just started. I now have a nice crop of them.

I am seriously considering trading it in on a 2004 BMW R1150RS. My Uncle just got one and it's has adjustable bars and seat. I can make it fit me perfect!

If I had not spent $5K on a set target rifles I would do it in a heart beat.

Guest dkgross

get an 2003 and you won't have paint issues :)

Mine bubbles. I'm taking the free luggage, and will deal with the paint in a year or two when i can't look at anymore. Right now, it doesn't bug me. Moto I showed me an engine they repainted with some Harley paint. Looked great.

Russ.... I wonder if it has to do with it being so dry in TX. I thought my Le Mans was not going to have the blistering paint issue, but it has just started. I now have a nice crop of them.

I am seriously considering trading it in on a 2004 BMW R1150RS. My Uncle just got one and it's has adjustable bars and seat. I can make it fit me perfect!

The dryness could be factor but just hope if mine decides to bubble it does so prior to the warranty end (11 months). I am under no illusion that MGNA is benevolent. They are incompetent, a holes as I am waiting over 7 weeks on the second set of fuel injection rubbers! Every dealer that I talk to says they have a hard time with getting reimbursed from them. No wonder the dealer network is dropping.

BTW, look at the Caponord or MultiStrada if your going for a DualSport. Remember, bikes should be Italian :luigi::bike: