(newish) 04 Cafe Sport - need to get it all set up for daily driver

neophyte

Hi,

I used to be active on the forum after I had bought a new 04 sport in 2006. Circumstances as they are I didn't ride much in the last few years and my guzzi has only 5300 miles on it. The only problem I have had so far was blown rear brake light due to short in wiring.

I am also a "new" motorcycle rider. I don't have much experience really, so setting up the suspension is a little daunting. But I need to do it because I have pretty much been uncomfortable on it. Sometimes not feeling "stable" in addition to rear feeling like it is kicking me hard in the rear on frost heaves in pavement at speed.

So in addition to introducing myself again, I'll be working on getting this bike as good of shape as I can because now I only have the bike as transportation. Also, I will be moving to the South Bend area and wonder if anyone has any knowledge of the Jordan Powersports dealer in Mishawaka that I think is a new dealership.

I want to feel confident when riding so hope to get things settled as best a person frankly ignorant of suspension feel can do. I'm 5ft 8inch and probably weigh about 190 lbs. I think the layout is o.k for my frame/arm length/leg length.

I try not to think about worries of reliability....fear of my oil filter spinning off or transmission springs breaking. Honestly I like to believe this bike can be a dependable daily ride.

Well, considering you live in Michigan, you might be rethinking this come winter...

However, in the meantime, I don't think there is any reason that you can't commute on a V11.

Take care of the routine maintenance and it should be just fine.

I'll defer suspension to the many others that know it better than I. I just futzed around with settings until mine worked ok.

Concerned about the filter? Put a clamp on it- don't worry again. It will cost you 2 bucks for a clamp, 10 bucks for oil and 45 minutes of your time. If you haven't dropped the pan before, I suggest buying new gaskets- just in case.

Some of the best things you can do for your bike to keep it running (in no particular order) are also the easiest:

set the valves regularly (30 minutes)

don't leave it out in the rain for water to get into all the connections

regularly check the oil. Keep it filled. Regularly change the oil (and filter). Doesn't matter if it is synthetic or cheap stuff. (45 min to an hour)

change the trans. and rear drive oil once a year and grease the ujoints (ok, that front one is a pain)

Set the TPS when it needs it.

Check for loose bolts when you have a chance.

Invest in good tools. Crappy tools are not fun to work with.

Don't worry and just ride.

You're in the right place to keep your Sport up to snuff! These guys have kept me going 70,000 miles!

Your 2004 will not likely have the shift spring failure. That appears to be largely a 2002 feature.

All of Jason's advice above is, of course, right on the mark.:thumbsup:

I would add: make sure you have a fresh AGM battery (like the Odyssey PC545) and the best relays (I use the OMRON).

It won't be long, you'll have to change your username to something more, er, "experienced!"