More things electrical

Greybeard

Would it be alright to eliminate the multiple ground wires going directly to the battery by tracing them back to their origin and grounding them to the frame there ?

(Making certain, of course, that continuity is maintained)

Drill & tap some holes and be done I figure.

Oh, also...the R4 & R5 relays...ECU and Injection is it?

Anyway they're smaller than the other 3.

Do they have different values or can I order all 5 of the better relays?

You could do that. You have to run a ground wire from the battery to the point you are using to ground to.

p.s. Use shakeproof washers to establish GOOD grounds.

A couple systems that really benefit from frame grounds are the headlights and the horns. These are also the systems that benefit from a separate fused power feed to auxiliary relays . . .

Moving the terminal stack to a 'bus' or junction block is also good electron medicine.:thumbsup: As is strapping a ground wire from frame to block on the motor's front. Veglia gauges benefit from anchoring the instrument light bases to insure grounding.

There is no benefit to using smaller relays in any of the five positions. Relay 5 runs the fuel pump (as well as the injectors and coils) constantly and, you may notice, it stays a bit warm.

After using five generations of relays (2 Siemens, Bosch, GEI, and OMRON), I have no doubt that the OMRON are the best available. We can thank John Mickowski (RYLAND3210) for the extensive work on this. If you have Bosch or GEI, they are, frankly, okay; just not best.

Oh, also...the R4 & R5 relays...ECU and Injection is it?

Anyway they're smaller than the other 3.

Do they have different values or can I order all 5 of the better relays?

Here are the relays Order all 5 pin, they are interchangeable

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=Z2247-ND

Digikey also have the little switches that go on the Brake / clutch levers

Regards

Roy

• 6 years later...

A couple systems that really benefit from frame grounds are the headlights and the horns. These are also the systems that benefit from a separate fused power feed to auxiliary relays . . .

I just added two relays to my EV's headlights and they are now visibly brighter. Would my '04 V11 benefit from the same setup or does it have a dedicated headlight relay already? TIA

I just added two relays to my EV's headlights and they are now visibly brighter. Would my '04 V11 benefit from the same setup or does it have a dedicated headlight relay already? TIA

No dedicated headlight relay on your '04.  Lots of owners have reported brighter headlamps with fused power to a dedicated relay, grounding headlights back to the frame or block.

brlawson just got the components and materials from EasternBeaver to do this.

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19803&p=218190

I decided to use separate relays and grounds for the hi and lo beams, but I'm a certifiable nut case. :blink:

Of course, everyone here knows that already . . . . :grin:

• Like 1