V11 Sport "slowly decreasing idle"

Steve G.

So with the new season, I find that my V11 has now aquired an idle of less than 1000rpm, in fact, at times, it wants to hover around 800rpm, in other words, barely running. I actually prefer it around 1150-1200, so I've been pulling the high idle lever back [that choke thing]. I would rather not have it this way.

So I've looked at the idle stop, appears to be some kind of grub screw stopper. If I just turn this thing in a bit, will this cause issue with the TBS?

Steve

It will change the idle TPS figure, but it will not change the running from now. The idle screw has the same effect as the fast idle. So if you're happy with it, just ignore the TPS value and set the idle speed with the screw.

Otherwise you could raise the idle speed by opening the air bleeders a tad, but that will potentially screw your TB sync.

My 2 cents..........If you haven't adjusted the valves in a while I would check there first. When I loosened mine up to world Spec's my idle increased and without changing my TPS setting. If you simply raise the left idle screw you will end up raising your TPS reading and in my case when I did this it severely lowered my MPG and it ran very rich too. Also, I would check the air bleed screws before I messed with the idle screw. Opening these up a bit might jump up your rpm's too, again, without changing your TPS setting.

Best of Luck,

Bob

Adjusting the idle stops do the same thing as just holding the throttle open at the grip. It will not affect your tps setting in the slightest, no way no how. When you do need to adjust your tps just back off the idle set screws and adjust the tps. If your bike is idling too slowly I would suggest that you do a tb balance and check your tps before you set the idle higher. My bike rarely needs the tps adjusted, but the damn tb's seem to need it every oil change.

Adjusting the idle stops do the same thing as just holding the throttle open at the grip. It will not affect your tps setting in the slightest, no way no how. When you do need to adjust your tps just back off the idle set screws and adjust the tps. If your bike is idling too slowly I would suggest that you do a tb balance and check your tps before you set the idle higher. My bike rarely needs the tps adjusted, but the damn tb's seem to need it every oil change.

Rich,

I might not understand, but when I hookup my VDST and adjust the left hand idle screw, my TPS changes. When I openy air bleed screws, my TPS reading remains unchanged but my RPM increases.

Bob

Rich,

I might not understand, but when I hookup my VDST and adjust the left hand idle screw, my TPS changes. When I openy air bleed screws, my TPS reading remains unchanged but my RPM increases.

Bob

Your answer is in your question. The idle speed screw adjusts the throttle angle and affects the r.p.m. The air bleed screws do almost the same thing. The screw(s) allow an amount of air to bypass the throttle plates and increase r.p.m. also.

Rich,

Bob

When you increase the rpm your throttle position of course changes. When you adjust your tps you're supposed to have the idle screws out to get the baseline. Then you make the adjustment to the tps. After that you can set the idle speed to your preference.

Maybe one of the more knowlegeable forum members could explain it better than I can.

• Like 1

Increasing the air bleed screws, the CO trim, and the valve adjustment may all increase RPM at idle, but without opening the throttle plate angle (which is read by the Throttle Position Sensor).

This is why the valves should be adjusted (to "world spec") and the CO trim should be zeroed (by Axone or VDSTS) when the baseline TPS is set at fully closed right throttle body before establishing the idle TPS setting and opening the air screws back up.

Then ther air screws should be closed to establish initial Throttle Body balance off idle (like 2000-3000 rpm) before setting the air screws out.

Some say: use the air screws to balance TB at idle, book says 1/2 turn both sides. My Sport likes a full turn each side.

On top of all that (and there's more), your white face tach is a liar . . . (shocking!!)

I'm reading all the threads on my issue, and am quite thankfull that there is such a wealth of technical knowledge about these bikes. Really!!

Just to let you know, I have less than 1000kms on a new fuel filter,,,,and yes, I pulled my airbox off today to check for mouse nests. And I checked the valve clearances, they are still set to the loose European clearances I've used since 2002.

My next step is to take my bike over to my buddy who has much technical hardware to check TPS settings, and the knowledge to use it on anything,,,he just did his MV Agusta complete service, valve shims, TPS,,,a mandatory thing as MV Agustas are not available in Canada.

I have a confession to make, the last time this bike had the TPS looked at was in 2001 during it's first check up at the dealer. I know, you guys can give me crap now.

Steve