heavy clutch

dark_bike

I've been commuting on my Scura for most of the past year (added 8,000 miles) generally problem free, but a change of route to work, with much more slow traffic, is playing havoc on my left arm. RSI and all that.

to cut a long story short, are there any tricks for reducing the force necessary to operate the clutch? I have no idea really of whats available in terms of aftermarket parts.

the bike still has the single plate clutch.

I sometimes have the feeling I need to learn to ride all over again.. I had a ducati 900 SS before and that sort of steered itself..The Guzzi really needs to be persuaded to change course. Having said that, for such a heavy bike it handles well, once persuaded :)

Tom

How handy are you with machine tools? There is a hydraulic slave cylinder available for 5 speeds, it seems like you should be able to use it or use it as a design template to make your own.

http://www.mgcycle.com/product_info.php?products_id=2554&osCsid=4ceb91021a557a42fc5ae51169c5f8fb

Sorry- this is all I am aware of at the moment.

Although- have you tried clutchless shifting (when it's safe)? That won't fix anything but it will put off the problem for a bit.

The Scura clutch should already be very "light" in operation compared with the usual twin plate set up. A change in the shape of the lever may help, as often the reach required may be uncomfortable for some, particularly in heavy traffic. Raising or lowering the lever slightly may help as well depending on what you find comfortable. :huh2:

seriously, get a Convert! you wouldn't even need a clutch lever.

but keep the V11 for FUN!

IMG_0540.jpg

looks like a SP 1000 but this in my EV powered Convert.

seriously, get a Convert! you wouldn't even need a clutch lever.

but keep the V11 for FUN!

IMG_0540.jpg

looks like a SP 1000 but this in my EV powered Convert.

now if it wasn't spewing oil that would be a bike I'd want to trade ya for :thumbsup: sweet ride :wub:

Like eas1rider said, the clutch should be light. If it isn't I'd start worrying that something might be amiss. I've fitted a genuine RAM clutch and flywheel in mine - the clutch action of this is even lighter than the original, so this would be a possible fix - though an expensive fix. Another thought - are you sure it is the clutch action that is causing your problem? At slow speeds the standard riding position does put quite a lot of weight on your wrists, which probably isn't helping your RSI. So maybe a change of bars would help?

Shoot, I woke up last night about midnight and thought to myself- 'self, the V11 already HAS a hydraulic clutch'. I was projecting my old Tonti and Loopframes. :rasta::homer::oldgit:

Man, I miss my bikes.

So, what you might be able to look into is a radial master cylinder. Some of those have adjustable piston sizes, so as to make for an easier pull.

Also, you could change out the clutch. Not sure that's much more expensive than a new hoopty brembo master cylinder.

I don't know that this has been done on a Guzzi, but I've read about it elsewhere. So- just to be clear, I am NOT suggesting this. You could put in a standard clutch and leave out two springs. I kind of doubt that's a very good idea though.

The Scura clutch should already be very "light" in operation compared with the usual twin plate set up. A change in the shape of the lever may help, as often the reach required may be uncomfortable for some, particularly in heavy traffic. Raising or lowering the lever slightly may help as well depending on what you find comfortable. :huh2:

Of all the suggestions this seems the easiest one to try out so I'll give it a try. It's probably more of an ergonomical problem than anything else...

Have you simply bled the clutch fluid? They really benefit from fresh fluid about once a year.

Ergonomically, you can adjust the lever so it is closer to the grip and rotate the assembly such that your wrist is not tipped up or down, but is straight along the back of the forearm to the back of the hand. Moving your sitting position closer to the tank takes pressure off the wrists and hands.

These are the simplest things I think you could do to make an immediate difference.