fitting shorter ohlin forks

Bogwopit

I wonder if anyone has any info. on fitting shorter forks to a v11?

I've just got hold of a set of ohlins, unfortunately no no's on them, the same as the ones fitted to the v11, except these are 40mm shorter.Does anyone have any suggestions as to how the fitting of them would affect the handling of the bike, and if it was O.K.to use them, would it be possible or desirable to lower the rear of the bike to suit.

Look forward to your comments,

Andy.

Do the stock forks have clip-ons mounted above the triple clamps? If so, you could gain that length by using a conventional handlebar and mount the forks flush with the clamps. How much would you gain?

If you installed these Ohlins you would have to drop the rear the same respective amount. I do not know the spring rate that is in these forks.

Do you have LOTS and LOTS of money?

If the answer is yes, then buy a set that fit your bike. Then you will have to buy wheel bearing(s), spacer, maybe another fender and axle bolt.

I assume the forks on your bike are Marzocchi. Marzocchi must be a good fork if they are on the MV/Agusta F4312R they can't be too bad.

I assume the forks on your bike are Marzocchi. Marzocchi must be a good fork if they are on the MV/Agusta F4312R they can't be too bad.

Zokes are not horrible forks, some of their top line forks are even pretty good. Maybe not Ohlins good, but pretty good. Unfortunately the ones that came on the V11 are not top line zokes. Some models appear to have come with bottom of the barrel Zokes. There is room for improvement. You can have the zokes modded by a quality suspension guy, or you can replace them with a higher quality fork like Ohlins. But an Ohlins fork that has the wrong length, wrong spring rate, and the wrong dampening is likely to be worse then the stock Zokes, not better.

I do recall that some Ohlins forks were adjustable length wise, if you could extend then at least 20mm so that you were only 20mm shorter then I might consider it if I were you. But even then you still have a lot of work/money required to throw at them to get them set up correctly so that they are actually an improvement.

I am a big fan of Ohlins, I have ridden bikes with various sets of Ohlins forks and they were noticeably better then others. But they were always set up for me and my needs. The odds that these forks would be an improvement over your stockers is pretty slim. But if you have the money to make them right it might work.

well I have also 730mm forks from an rsv in my bike. But I have the headangle set 2 degree steeper, what makes the front come up, and the best is, it handles great like this. You won't recognize the bike.

What v11 do you want to put them in?

well I have also 730mm forks from an rsv in my bike. But I have the headangle set 2 degree steeper, what makes the front come up, and the best is, it handles great like this. You won't recognize the bike.

What v11 do you want to put them in?

Hi Paul,

I want to fit them to a Rosso Mandello. Don't ask me why, it just seems like a good idea.

They are off an RSV I believe.Free length off a bike is 770mm.I also have a correct set for a v11 and these measure 810mm off the bike.

Andy