Relay Base Repair

Kiwi_Roy

This doesn't seem to open on the FAQ forum so I will post it back here.

If you are having trouble with your relays its possibly due to a faulty contact in the base. The attached shows how to remove the connectors from the base so they can be tightened by pinching with a pair of pliers. If the contact is beyond repair they are standard items that can be purchased at any good automotive supply store.

If you are replacing the connectors I highly recommend dipping the wires in vaseline, this will prevent oxidation and corrosion. Vaseline on the relay pins also makes the relays easier to get in and out.

I have also shown how you can add LEDs to the base as a troubleshooting aid. I did this with mine and find it most helpfull.

The LEDs are wired to contact 87 so that they indicate when the relay contacts are closed, not just when the coil is energized.

I strongly suggest you make a metal template for drilling the 1/8 hole so they all end up in the same place, not like mine.

Hope this is of interest,

Roy :oldgit:

Here are the updated files.

"Test Point Layout" showing where to test some of the wiring and what to expect

"Relay Base Repair" showing how to remove the connectors for tightening. Also shows how you can add LEDs to brighten up your day.

"Guzzi Wiring" a simplified schematic.

Test Point Layout May 17 2010.pdf

Relay Base Repair July 21 2010.pdf

Guzzi_Wiring July 21 2010.pdf

Odd, Roy, it opens for me in FAQ:huh2:.

Of course , only the "Relay Base Repair" pdf is on that thread. I'm afraid they're going to get "lost" on the Tech Forum, buried by new discussion. Would you mind making this same post on FAQ so it can be pinned and I will delete the redundant threads?

Docc, just move this topic to the FAQ and delete the old

Just hold on a bit, I went over my scratchings last night and tidied them up a bit

Will post them by the weekend

Cheers

Roy

Docc, I sent you a PM regarding this.

Docc, just move this topic to the FAQ and delete the old

I tried that, but Roy couldn't open the file after the move. I could try moving it again and see what happens, but I hate to short circuit the thread again and Roy can't post it directly on FAQ.

I do believe the files belong in FAQ where they will remain easier to find.

"Testmember" is quite a catchy username. The guy in the avatar looks vaguely familiar . . .

I tried that, but Roy couldn't open the file after the move. I could try moving it again and see what happens, but I hate to short circuit the thread again and Roy can't post it directly on FAQ.

I do believe the files belong in FAQ where they will remain easier to find.

"Testmember" is quite a catchy username. The guy in the avatar looks vaguely familiar . . .

I moved Roy's new thread to the FAQ (edited the topic title) and could open the attachments logged in as a normal member, so it should work.

Also, "Test Point Layout" and "Guzzi Wiring" do not appear in the FAQ threads. Perhaps they need a thread of their own. I'm afraid to mess with this now, since my efforts have not been effective.

Jaap, looks like "Testmember" has Moderator status and may not function like a "normal" member.

(Everybody knows Moderators ain't normal.):grin: