My new Guzzi

Buzzard

I'm the newest Guzzi owner on the site. I just bought it on eBay, flew out to California, and rode it home to Colorado. It has been a good adventure, and it all worked out just fine. And yes, I love this bike, a 2002 V11 LeMans. I'm coming off of a Yamaha FJR1300, a very competent bike, with no character. I have wanted a LeMans since they have been made, lusted after them. My wife, she's a saint, says "You're not getting younger, go get one!" So I find this one on eBay, win it, and I'm on my way. I'm pushing 60, I'm fretting about the ergonomics vs my arthritis, and the 1K mile ride home, but figure, Hey, if your are a puss, admit it here. Well, I'm here to tell you, this was a two thumbs up thing! I rode out of Long Beach to HWY 10, into Arizona. Stayed in Salome the first night. Next day, I headed into the mountains, toward Jerome. What great roads. And what a great motorcycle! At my age, sometimes I wonder what I am doing with my motorcycle time, but getting this Guzzi woke me right up. No mistake here, it's a winner. Puts a smile on my face, makes me feel good.

One problem with the bike, not serious, bad fueling (ECU, timing, mapping, whatever). I own Jaguars, and am good at sorting electric gremlins. I tested the TPS, it was good. I tested the kill switch beside the throttle, it was bad. In the communications industry, we would call it a high resistance open. This kill switch should give you 0 ohm or infinite ohm, run or not run. It gave a varying ohm reading on run. I simply soldered the two leads together that went to the switch, tucked them down into the switch body, and what a difference! The bike runs like a whole different animal. Hope this helps someone with a similar problem (stuttering, hard to launch from a start, missing while underway, just doesn't run well). Check that kill switch!

Congratulations and welcome, i could just picture you riding back home with that "warm fuzzy almost too good to be true feeling". well done.

After 5 years my Guzzi always puts a grin on me.

I'm the newest Guzzi owner on the site. I just bought it on eBay, flew out to California, and rode it home to Colorado. It has been a good adventure, and it all worked out just fine. And yes, I love this bike, a 2002 V11 LeMans. I'm coming off of a Yamaha FJR1300, a very competent bike, with no character. I have wanted a LeMans since they have been made, lusted after them. My wife, she's a saint, says "You're not getting younger, go get one!" So I find this one on eBay, win it, and I'm on my way. I'm pushing 60, I'm fretting about the ergonomics vs my arthritis, and the 1K mile ride home, but figure, Hey, if your are a puss, admit it here. Well, I'm here to tell you, this was a two thumbs up thing! I rode out of Long Beach to HWY 10, into Arizona. Stayed in Salome the first night. Next day, I headed into the mountains, toward Jerome. What great roads. And what a great motorcycle! At my age, sometimes I wonder what I am doing with my motorcycle time, but getting this Guzzi woke me right up. No mistake here, it's a winner. Puts a smile on my face, makes me feel good.

One problem with the bike, not serious, bad fueling (ECU, timing, mapping, whatever). I own Jaguars, and am good at sorting electric gremlins. I tested the TPS, it was good. I tested the kill switch beside the throttle, it was bad. In the communications industry, we would call it a high resistance open. This kill switch should give you 0 ohm or infinite ohm, run or not run. It gave a varying ohm reading on run. I simply soldered the two leads together that went to the switch, tucked them down into the switch body, and what a difference! The bike runs like a whole different animal. Hope this helps someone with a similar problem (stuttering, hard to launch from a start, missing while underway, just doesn't run well). Check that kill switch!

D##n,

You are a good troubleshooter! There is something you will come to understand. Most MotoGuzzi owners are a proffesional craftsman, tradesman or high (or low) tech tinker. You will enjoy your two wheel Rubic's cube.

Congrat's on your new bike buzzard and welcome to the site! Kudos on that kill switch diagnosis too. How about some pics of the new beast?

FYI if you decide that the ergos don't exactly work for you there are other footpeg and handlebar options out there. Fueling can be improved too, but often times a basic tuneup fixes a lot of issues.

She is a beauty Buzzard. I'm just a few years behind you and share the same feelings. If it weren't for my Guzzi I think I might have given up riding.

Good catch on the kill switch.

Many happy miles to you. Dennis in Maine.

Uh, nice cans? I've heard good reviewson the performance exhaust and it came with an ECU that seemed to be work well.

That was a good bit of sleuthing on the kill switch. Never rule out the unexpected, I suppose.

I just came back home on a few of the Same roads. Jerome, AZ and Hwy 89/89a are such nice roads!

Nice Bike!!! and welcome to the club.. Guzzists are some of the nicest, coolest, and sometimes strangest riders you will ever meet. They understand that motorcycles are not about being the fastest, best handling, most reliable, smoothest or most comfortable. If it was we would all ride a Honda or drive a Toyota Camry. Its about the soul, character and the way it makes you feel.

Now for the ergos: Buell foot pegs, gain an inch of leg room $35. Seat reshape your self or by a pro or wear padded undies. Handlebars www.convertibars.com expensive but the best thing I did for my bike hands down, cant believe I waited two years to do it...