Fitting factory tank bag

RHIP

The previous owner of my RM found his original factory tank bag, and basically gave it to me. I don't know if he ever used it, and although I'm sure I can find a way to fit it - any of you out there have any suggestions for the most secure way? It boils down to:

1. Is it really necessary to run the back strap through the fuel tank bolt? Mine is misaligned, and the last time I had the tank off it took waaaay to long to get it back in. It looks like the pressure of the seat against the tank may secure that end.

2. What's the preferred way of routing the front straps? Just loop them through the front frame "V" behind the steering stem?

I'm also wondering if using this bag ccan cause any scratching/wear on the paint on the gas tank. I had been using an ancient Eclipse, which never bothered the paint, but also never stayed on the tank. Thanks!

I haven't used my factory bag in a while. It's really big and I prefer a a small, say 8-10 liter tankbag.

You can thread the rear strap through under the tank mount and re-attach the buckle without taking the bolt loose. I prefer crossing the front straps so they go into the gap at the front of the tank and not down along its sides. It's not as stable that way, but I can't bear to drag the front straps over the sides of the tank.

Over time, the only paint damage I've gotten from always having a tankbag on, is at the back of the tank along the flat portion where the rear buckle rides. Also, the early Sports have the chin pad which can flatten out from the tankbag pressure and not want to stay attached to its little push-in catches. (I've re-shaped mine, but don't trust it to stay put without the tankbag in place).

The previous owner of my RM found his original factory tank bag, and basically gave it to me. I don't know if he ever used it, and although I'm sure I can find a way to fit it - any of you out there have any suggestions for the most secure way? It boils down to:

1. Is it really necessary to run the back strap through the fuel tank bolt? Mine is misaligned, and the last time I had the tank off it took waaaay to long to get it back in. It looks like the pressure of the seat against the tank may secure that end.

2. What's the preferred way of routing the front straps? Just loop them through the front frame "V" behind the steering stem?

I'm also wondering if using this bag ccan cause any scratching/wear on the paint on the gas tank. I had been using an ancient Eclipse, which never bothered the paint, but also never stayed on the tank. Thanks!

I've got one on my 2002 Le Mans i do have mine secured by the tank bolt but with the seat on and no bolt i don't think it would be going anywhere,as for the straps just run them under the top spares of the frame and your good to go.

I don't see any marks or imperfections forming on the tank,the only problem with my mine is the main zipper to open the the bag is starting to give me grief other than that it's been a good servant.

Stu

I use the rear tank bolt to attach the bag, never tried it without. I've had a hard time getting the bolt back in there too. Since it screws into a cage nut which floats a little in the frame I found that I can put a phillips screwdriver through the hole in the back of the tank and through the cage nut then lever the nut so it lines up better with the hole in the tank.

You could use a zip tie to secure it to the frame.

And yes, just route the straps around the steering head. I fastened them down with safety pins, so the extra strap doesn't flap around.

Fwiw, I like my factory bag. It's just about the right size for my collections of carrying stuff.

Thanks, guys; I appreciate the tips. I'm going to give it a shot without the bolt on the rear, and probably put some discreet tape on the tank where the front straps go.

Thanks, guys; I appreciate the tips. I'm going to give it a shot without the bolt on the rear, and probably put some discreet tape on the tank where the front straps go.

I put some foam rubber pads under the straps where they meet the tank on the foward edges...a little ugly, but no paint damage. A couple of my zipper pulls died and I replaced them with little key chain rings. I really like the bag, and I keep my 250 mile radius map under the plastic...get all kinds of commets about that -- "oh look, a map...how quaint!" :helmet:

I put some foam rubber pads under the straps where they meet the tank on the foward edges...a little ugly, but no paint damage. A couple of my zipper pulls died and I replaced them with little key chain rings. I really like the bag, and I keep my 250 mile radius map under the plastic...get all kinds of commets about that -- "oh look, a map...how quaint!" :helmet:

The clear pocket is for maps?? I thought it's for the wiring diagram!:huh:

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet! A map is a map is a map... ;)

I put the months Centerfold in mine with the wiring diagram underneath then the maps,works for me.

Stu.

I put the months Centerfold in mine with the wiring diagram underneath then the maps,works for me.

Stu.

There is great deal of material in "Hooters" if you need to find your way around. :)