Splines, etc.

Chet in MI

First of all, please forgive my ignorance :rolleyes: Other than the zerks on my 2003 LeMans shaft drive (and the bevel gear lube), is there anything else that needs regular lubing? I keep hearing about splines that should be greased. Are any of these serviced by any of the zerks? Or are there splines not serviced by the zerks, such as when the rear wheel is off? I've got ~10.5K miles previously serviced by the dealer (Detroit Eurocycles, RIP :( ) and I'm about to tackle removing the rear wheel for the first time :luigi:

Thanks!!

The middle zerk lubes the splines between the shaft halves and yes, whenever removing rear wheel you should grease its splines. I can't think of any other splines to grease but inside the washer at the outer side of the bevelbox, there's a needle bearing that should be cleaned and regreased too whenever removing rear wheel.

Take care not to drop the bevelbox on the floor while removing wheel. It's heavy.

First of all, please forgive my ignorance :rolleyes: Other than the zerks on my 2003 LeMans shaft drive (and the bevel gear lube), is there anything else that needs regular lubing? I keep hearing about splines that should be greased. Are any of these serviced by any of the zerks? Or are there splines not serviced by the zerks, such as when the rear wheel is off? I've got ~10.5K miles previously serviced by the dealer (Detroit Eurocycles, RIP :( ) and I'm about to tackle removing the rear wheel for the first time :luigi:

Thanks!!

When you get the rear wheel off the splines are visible but it's worth removing the cush drive cover (use a very good fit allen key and if available some heat to soften the thread lock)then cleaning and lubing the whole cush drive assembly as MG didn't !!

While there you can, if you want, do the dreaded cush drive mod (pages and pages have been dedicated to this topic.....) :rolleyes:

Just so I'm clear...The splines that are exposed when the rear wheel is off - do those take regular grease (I use Mobil 1), or something else like Wurth spline grease?

Hmmmm....cush drive mod..... :luigi: Looks like I've got some more reading to do...

Thanks again everyone! :notworthy:

Any grease will be fine and I use the same as for the zerks. Wheel bearing grease is probably really good and some say boat trailer wheel bearing grease is the ultimate choice and it doesn't sound like a bad idea to me. Guzzi says you should avoid grease containing Moly for the UJs, probably because it is hygroscopic. I bought a tube of moly grease before I realised that, and I will use it up but I'm buying something else next time.

Wurth products have a very good reputation. The thicker and stickier and more water resistant products do best on the wheel drive splines as it limits how much will sling off.

While the wheel is off, have a look at this simple Maintenance Checklist in the FAQ.:luigi:

Thanks docc! I did look at that FAQ earlier, which definitely helps a lot. But being a visual/tactile learner, I guess this will all become more clear once I start getting things apart (at least I hope so :unsure: ). Or it may mean the beginning of end of my beloved LeMans... :doh: