Cutting out just after start up

guzziman1100

Hi everybody, I am being plagued by a bad running problem at the moment, Bike was put away before winter with no problems other than oil leaks and a clutch that was on it's last legs.

Came to start the bike up about 2 months ago and she fires up straight away when cold, runs for a couple of minutes and then cuts out, will not start again until absolutely cold again then I get same problem.

Recently drained tank and discarded fuel (some contamination in there from water in fuel tank and old filter etc) put new fuel in and a new fuel filter.

Started straight away and then cut out a couple of minutes later. Will not start and does not seem to have a spark (new plugs fitted) does not smell of petrol and plugs are not wet.

has anyone any ideas please?

Best regards,

Guzziman 1100

Mouse nest in the air filter?

The 1100 Sport-i is not a really old Guzzi and the FI is very similar to the V11. If you don't get much response here, let's move the thread to Tech Topics.

...Will not start and does not seem to have a spark ...

I'd check the phase sensor. An easy test is to listen to the fuel pump: does the starter trigger the pump?

Hubert

I'd check the phase sensor. An easy test is to listen to the fuel pump: does the starter trigger the pump?

Hubert

ignition starts the pump and flicking kill button runs the pump but still no luck, where is the phase sensor?

guzziman1100

Swap relays around. Condition your emergency stop switch (just flip it 10 times or so).

cleaned relay contacts but still no luck, will swap round next. have worked kill button but this has had no effect.

seems like I have no fuel injection and no spark - are these only controlled by the ecu?

thanks

guzziman1100

They are controlled by the ECU, yes. The ECU is grounding them, Plus comes via one of the relais which is also triggered by the ECU. The fuel pump hangs on the same line, so this part should work I guess.

The phase sensor is sitting on the upper left part of the timing cover, near (below) the oil pressure switch. You can't do very much with it besides checking its resistance.

My initial question was: after the pump was priming for the usual 1 or 2 seconds, does it come on again for another few moments after you've pressed the starter button? In other words: does the ECU recognise a moving engine, signalled by the phase sensor?

Hubert

They are controlled by the ECU, yes. The ECU is grounding them, Plus comes via one of the relais which is also triggered by the ECU. The fuel pump hangs on the same line, so this part should work I guess.

The phase sensor is sitting on the upper left part of the timing cover, near (below) the oil pressure switch. You can't do very much with it besides checking its resistance.

My initial question was: after the pump was priming for the usual 1 or 2 seconds, does it come on again for another few moments after you've pressed the starter button? In other words: does the ECU recognise a moving engine, signalled by the phase sensor?

Hubert

I will check this later, thanks for the reply.

regards,

guzziman1100

• 2 months later...

Hubert

Hubert, many thanks, spot on it was the phase sensor. I can't believe it was June when I first asked for assistance, now the summers gone! nevermind, best ride through the winter then.

once again, thanks for the help,

best regards,

guzziman1100

Thanks for the feedback, Guzziman. Hope you'll get some fun now out of the rest of the season. They say we should get a wonderfull October now ....

Hubert

That was brilliant Hubert, straight on to it. :notworthy: