Fuel pump replacement/relocate

Buzzard

I was a bit disgruntled with the location of the external FI fuel pump on my 2002 LeMans. Deciding to do something about it, I realized I would have to make several changes. The air box had to go, I needed a smaller pump, and a smaller fuel filter. I would also need to go to velocity stacks with K&N filters. I found a pump by MSD, the auto ignition people, for about $110. Model #2225. Stacks and filters from Sport Cycle Pacific. Fuel filter is a Golan Mini in 5/16". I mounted the pump on the LH side, on a bracket made out of 1/8" aluminum, right beneath the front of the seat. I mounted the air temp sensor right in the end of the RH K&N filter. After installation, initial test ride indicated sort of a lean condition, stumbling off idle, slow response in mid range. I will add that this bike, which is new to me, had these symptoms before the change, but they were now more severe. I gave the TPS a spin a couple of degrees CCW, looking at it from the top. It runs fantastic! I like this mod, others may not. Of note, though, is that this fuel pump is a good replacement for the original if needed, at a bargain price.

Guzzi 005.jpg

Guzzi 006.jpg

I was a bit disgruntled with the location of the external FI fuel pump on my 2002 LeMans. Deciding to do something about it, I realized I would have to make several changes. The air box had to go, I needed a smaller pump, and a smaller fuel filter. I would also need to go to velocity stacks with K&N filters. I found a pump by MSD, the auto ignition people, for about $110. Model #2225. Stacks and filters from Sport Cycle Pacific. Fuel filter is a Golan Mini in 5/16". I mounted the pump on the LH side, on a bracket made out of 1/8" aluminum, right beneath the front of the seat. I mounted the air temp sensor right in the end of the RH K&N filter. After installation, initial test ride indicated sort of a lean condition, stumbling off idle, slow response in mid range. I will add that this bike, which is new to me, had these symptoms before the change, but they were now more severe. I gave the TPS a spin a couple of degrees CCW, looking at it from the top. It runs fantastic! I like this mod, others may not. Of note, though, is that this fuel pump is a good replacement for the original if needed, at a bargain price.

Interesting mod Buzzard, how are your plug readings and what is the fuel consumption rate? Good to hear it runs well. :thumbsup:

Since the mod, two tanks of fuel have yielded 47 and 45 mpg. The plugs are running a dark tan in color, which I am pleased with. Then the slow oil leak out the front timing cover became a gusher, so I've pulled off the cover. That's quite a bit of disassembly. I am relieved to have found a gasket with a blown out piece, right beside an engine mount. I was having horrible thoughts of a cracked cover. Looking forward to getting the bike back together in a few days, and get back to riding!