New Fuel cap problems

DeBenGuzzi

SO I got a evotech rapid cap for my Aprilia, I know not guzzi related but I know most of you are engineers by trade or hobby so I know of no better place to ask, the thing looks really awesome and works really well(the open close action of it. Thing is it leaks like a sieve from around the outside of the cap, says it uses the stock gasket and venting as to be easy to install, well I even ordered a new stock gasket and it leaked WORSE, I'll get to posting some pics to see if anyone can help me with my problem, I don't even know where to begin to fix this thing and I was told by AF1 to just get the yoyodyne, found out afterwards they've tried a few and had no luck with the evotech but yoyodyne was great, too bad it only comes in black and I have a silver/red bike, I did contact yoyodyne and they said they could get silver but would take a month or more might still do that but damn it this thing was more expensive and came in the look I wanted and yeah just because its pretty doesn't mean it works right

the reasons are the aprilia as a tiny fuel opening which is a bich at fuel ups, I also don't care if it locks half the bikes on the road don't have locking fuel caps I'm not worried and it looks cool. If anyone can give me some solid help I will give you beer

well this is the mounting hole

foto4.jpg

the actual stock gasket is in the pictures the only small difference is the actual oem stock one doesn't have that second loop on the bottom but otherwise is the same and neither seal up the fuel cap, the stock one works fine and seals up nice even after reinstalling it 3 times now

I will try and get some pics up soon of the stocker exactly

There should be a rubber "nose" that attaches to the bottom of the cap, so when you crank the cap closed it seals against the opening in the tank.

There should be a rubber "nose" that attaches to the bottom of the cap, so when you crank the cap closed it seals against the opening in the tank.

yeah pretty sure thats half of how the stock one works so well, but I've seen plenty well not plenty just a few aftermarket ones that don't have that setup with no leaks, I think I will have to make a gasket yay me, swimming into uncharted waters for myself now, I should have just got the yoyodyne cap the dealer recommended.

OK, I took some pictures for comparison and I think the culprit lies on the tabbed area of the gasket, which will be soooo much fun to make a new gasket for it, I have to think the reason the yoyodyne one works is because it lacks this tab area and uses its own gasket to make a good seal

DSC_4209.jpg

DSC_4208.jpg

DSC_4207.jpg

DSC_4206.jpg

DSC_4205.jpg

also why is the new OEM gasket I ordered slighty diff with that odd loop on the bottom??

I have contacted evotech directly and I hope they have some ideas, not sure how I would make a gasket to fill in the recessed area and make a good seal, maybe if I was an engineer or just handier with gasket material and fabrication

NEVERMIND, evotech helped me out, it was that side hole that needed to be plugged it was allowing gas to bypass the seal, it was also supposed to be supplied with one but wasn't in my kit, which I don't care, ace hardware had a nice hex head metric screw to plug it up for .60c, now she's tighter than a nun and hotter than lindsay lohan