Regulator Rebuild

docc

Do you think you will leave your innovation(s) on the bike permenantly ?

No, I plan on completing my own regulator at some stage, probably this winter but in the meantime I will leave the pot in place so I can tweak it.

If anyones considering doing the same here's a better way

a/ 1 kOhm fixed resistor

b/ 20 turn trim pot 1 k, 2 k or 5 k would do.

c/ After removing enough epoxy, drill a hole through the case for the trimpot adjustment screw.

d/ Remove existing trim resistor

e/ Wire the trim pot and 1 k resistor in series in place of the trim resistor arrange it so when you turn the trim pot the resistance becomes less.

f/ Fill over the trim pot and resistor with fresh silicone sealant.

Start with the trim pot about half way, run the bike for a while then adjust it up or down a couple of turns until it's where you want it. Be patient it takes a while, could take several days to get it just right.

I think it's best to mount a Volt meter where you can see it while riding, I set mine so it reads about 14.5 Volts maximum. It seems that just reving the bike is somehow different. I simply taped my multimeter to the tab on the fuel cap. The voltage varies quite a lot as you are riding, I see 12.7 to 14.5 Volts (don't tell me my 2nd Yuasa battery in 6 months is on it's way out)

Trim Pot.jpg

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now, admittedly, this is all quite over my head. Still, could we use a Pulse Width Modulator to approximate the advantages of the three-phase system?

Now, admittedly, this is all quite over my head. Still, could we use a Pulse Width Modulator to approximate the advantages of the three-phase system?

No, sorry The power is just not available all the time, Pulse Width Modulation usually requires steady DC to work. It could be used with a 3 phase alternator.

I assume you are thinking something like the power supply in a computer. The bike doesn't really need anything that complex because it has the battery that acts like a huge filter to smooth out any lumps.

Here is a sketch of the waveforms, Single Phase compared to Three Phase.

Hope you find it interesting.

Roy

Regulator 1 or 3 Phase.pdf