2004 problems?

daveco2

Still thinking of getting a LeMans.

For the year 2004, did Guzzi work out the problems with pawl springs, vapor lock, exploding clutches, and dying odometers that previous years seemed to sometimes have?

Thanks for any comments.

I've got an '04 Nero Corsa, 21,000 miles with alot of that being a 12.5 mile commute to work, and the same back. I have not had one of those problems so far. The LeMans clutch is a double plate, the "exploding "ones were the single plates. My speedo cable broke, but it was replaced with the updated one that had a little more bend in the end that goes into the trans, no problems for quite a while now. The only consistent issue for me has been the front exhaust cross over getting loose. As soon as I get a little exhaust popping, I know it's loose again. That hopefully permanent fix will wait till winter, as I have been able to just retighten it every now and then. I'm completely biased when I say "Go for it", and also I'd suggest to pop the extra $ for an Ohlins version. Good hunting, S.H. :notworthy::mg::wub:

Still thinking of getting a LeMans.

For the year 2004, did Guzzi work out the problems with pawl springs, vapor lock, exploding clutches, and dying odometers that previous years seemed to sometimes have?

Thanks for any comments.

my 2002 has none of those problems and I love her like none of my other Guzzi. forget what you heard, those were a few minor problems that got aired and fixed.. my Lemans is the most reliable and fun of over a dozen Guzzi's I've owned.. it does have bubbling engine paint...so what.

gpHeadcamwelch.jpg

My :2c: based on what I've read here over the years:

Every model year has it's own possible problems. I believe I've seen some reports of pawl spring failures on 04 bikes here, but they seem to be more common on the 02s. O4s have the ITI gauges which seem to be less reliable that the Veglias on the earlier bikes, and they have the leaky front crossovers as SH mentioned, but they don't have crappy engine paint, won't vapor lock, and they may have better ECU mapping from the factory than the 02 bikes. The Ohlins models are worth the extra money if you can find a nice one. I too like the black ones a lot :wub: SH has what may be the nicest one out there IMO with all the upgrades that Ferracci did to it.

After a few minor problems which were taken care of at the first service, I have not had any. I have 12500 miles on the bike. It has not be in the shop once. I do all the work myself, very easy bike to work on.

Enjoy

Tony C

2004 does seem to get the best reports and did have quality improvements.

Around 2002 was a bad time at the factory and the 2002 bikes do seem to report more problems than others, with bad, wrong-sized parts batches. The Scura (my model) was particularly unfortunate because it also has that ill-designed clutch/flywheel.

To my eyes, 2002 looks better.

2004 should be made better.