Air Filter Replacement

Kiwi_Roy

Hi,

I saw a picture on here that showed a VII Sport with the side panels removed with a pair of K&N filters.

I really like the look, any idea which one would work / look the best :unsure:

I have a couple on the short list

http://www.knfilters.com/universal/universal.htm

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=RC-1290 with a 10° angle flange

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=RC-1289

or I could go straight

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=RD-0470

The flange is 1-7/8" to 1-15/16", pretty much anything will fit in the space once the side panels and air box are removed.

I thought I could replace the air box under the tank with some more tool storage, has anyone done anything there?

Thanks in advance

Roy

For the purists, my bike is so far from stock I might as well have fun :rasta:

Of course I will keep all the bits in case the NO wants to go back.

"Purists" post here!?:o

I feel nekked.:blush:

I don't run any of those. Some where here or perhaps on the old site(server, i thinks it was lost??? perhaps I am :whistle: ) there was the part number for some K&N's that had a length of tube before the filter plus an angle (where the filte and tube meet). Someone here had posted had posted way back when. Those are the one I use, and have been happy. They tuck in nicely when the the side panels are removed, I never even made any bracket to help hold them in.

At least that way you keep the tuned length at least close to the engines rpm range. :oldgit:

After a search of some -old- threads I found RU 1780, Al-roe.... had posted back in 03. I had the link, but seem unable to post it. Page 3 in the thread also had pictures.

I converted my bike to k&n filters a long time ago. So long that I don't remember the part number. Emry's post sounds right. Measure the OD of the intakes and get the round (cylindrical) ones to fit.

Anyhow, I had to remove part of the intake runner to get them to fit. You should be aware of that. I guess you could also clamp them to the TB's. Your call.

Or go with the sportcyclepacific.com set of intakes and UNI filters. They look very nice. I can't give you a direct URL since I'm on my iPad and it doesn't do flash... :glare:

I used velocity stacks with K&N filters, bought them from SportCycle Pacific. Very nice units, and I'm happy with how she runs with these mounted. I'm now contemplating modifying the side covers and fabricating mounting brackets, so as to remount them. I'm sure it can be done.

Thanks Guys,

I pondered the options all day and at the last minute ordered these

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=RC-0410 :bike:

I think the straight ones will be ok. If I get sick of them I will extend them and put the side covers back.

I think ones with the 10 degree angle might have fitted better, will post a picture when they arrive.

After a search of some -old- threads I found RU 1780, Al-roe.... had posted back in 03. I had the link, but seem unable to post it. Page 3 in the thread also had pictures.

I too use the RU-1780, together with red prechargers, RU-0510PR. They have a perfect angle and are probably the maximum size that fits in the space.

DSC01007vga.JPG

Edit: Actually I don't use them anymore, I refitted the air box. The pods helps at high revs but ruins the midrange. But it looks good with pods, not to mention the intake roar :food:

I used the ru-1410 i think

that way i could roll them up outta the way

one day i'll get around to building a bracket

to mount the side covers on.

well i dont seem to be smart enough to :wacko:

resize a pic ...if you want to see emm lemme know

and ill email it to ya

andy

I used the ru-1410 i think

that way i could roll them up outta the way

one day i'll get around to building a bracket

to mount the side covers on.

well i dont seem to be smart enough to :wacko:

resize a pic ...if you want to see emm lemme know

and ill email it to ya

andy

Oh dear, It seems I'm the only one that went with the straight flange. I looked at the RU-1410 but it was out of stock in US, hopefully I will be ok with the straight ones

Roy

Wow, RAZ! I don't think I've ever seen a picture of your Sport. That is magnificent!:mg:

Agreed! Nice bike Raz. How's it running after all the engine work?

Thanks, well the pic is taken without exhaust mounted so it looks a bit cooler than it normally does. More pics are linked in my signature. Anyway I think the raised compression was a good thing. I haven't experienced any problems with pinging or such, even with piss poor octane gas from the continental Europe. I get the feeling my front wheel is much more prone to get airborne but we'll never get hard facts on that.

I didn't modify my ignition map. The fuel map was a little modified (enrichened) with my closed loop correction until my sensor recently went tits up. I just finished a long distance ride in open loop and all in all, the bike was just fantastic. Fantastic. It's a pity it's not really a touring bike 'cause I'm a touring guy. Maybe I'll sell it now and buy meself a good old carburetted 1975 1000 Convert.

Edit: Of course, I will bore it to 1100 cc and claim it to be a V11 so I don't have to switch forum :wub:

Wow, RAZ! I don't think I've ever seen a picture of your Sport. That is magnificent!:mg:

Agreed! Nice bike Raz. How's it running after all the engine work?

Thanks, well the pic is taken without exhaust mounted so it looks a bit cooler than it normally does. More pics are linked in my signature. Anyway I think the raised compression was a good thing. I haven't experienced any problems with pinging or such, even with piss poor octane gas from the continental Europe. I get the feeling my front wheel is much more prone to get airborne but we'll never get hard facts on that.

I didn't modify my ignition map. The fuel map was a little modified (enrichened) with my closed loop correction until my sensor recently went tits up. I just finished a long distance ride in open loop and all in all, the bike was just fantastic. Fantastic. It's a pity it's not really a touring bike 'cause I'm a touring guy. Maybe I'll sell it now and buy meself a good old carburetted 1975 1000 Convert.

Edit: Of course, I will bore it to 1100 cc and claim it to be a V11 so I don't have to switch forum :wub:

Keep them pink and wet, else, all they strain out is buterflies.

OK I have my K&Ns on, love the look, now the spine and rear suspension are exposed,

If anyone else likes this look the 10 or 20 degree might look even better, I went for the largest one in straight.

Sorry about the dirty bike, just went for a quick spin in the rain.

Just one thing, what to do with the crankcase breather & temperature sensor.

For the moment I extended the breather down below the exhaust with a length of plastic hose and

tie wrapped the sensor to the frame under tank.

I welcome your suggestions for a permanent fix

Thanks

Roy

CIMG1794small.jpg

CIMG1795small.jpg