Trans & gearbox

tdisme

Book calls for 90 for the "transmission" (rear end) and 140 for the "gearbox" (front end?). Both of these can be bought at NAPA in, I believe, either regular formulation or full synthetic Valvoline. I am not sure if either is a moly product. Would I be an absolute fool to use these? Or would you fine and learned gentlemen merely shake your heads and turn away? As an appeasement to the Gods of Gootsie I would add the Moly! What say you?

Book calls for 90 for the "transmission" (rear end) and 140 for the "gearbox" (front end?). Both of these can be bought at NAPA in, I believe, either regular formulation or full synthetic Valvoline. I am not sure if either is a moly product. Would I be an absolute fool to use these? Or would you fine and learned gentlemen merely shake your heads and turn away? As an appeasement to the Gods of Gootsie I would add the Moly! What say you?

Never mind. I found where I can get Red Line and it only fifty miles from here. Instead of the quarter mile for the Valvoline.

I usse Motorcraft synthetic. Most everyone this site uses the Redline Shockproof stuff.

Thanks. I like you already.

You need to raise your standards...........

and, thank you..

I usse Motorcraft synthetic. Most everyone this site uses the Redline Shockproof stuff.

That's not that hyper-zoot synth left over from your SHO that's, like, thirty bucks a quart? If I had some of that stuff, I'd use it , too!

[posts moved here from "How To" for discussion.]

TD, any good gear oil will serve well. Adding a moly additive to the rear drive is "recommended" if you are not using "Shockproof."

I use "blue" RLSP in the gearbox and Heavy (red) in the bevel drive. The trouble I've found is that it is quite easy to overfill and build pressure leading to leaking seals. I'll bet some 50 ml clings inside the rear drive even draining when hot.

There's this brief discussion to view: Gearbox and Rear Drive - What Oil

• 5 months later...