Frickin tire valves

Guest captain nemo

Guest captain nemo

I am in Guzzi hell trying to get an air hose onto my tire valves for filling air. Even finding tire pressure is a major pain in the ass with the 17" rims the big Brembos. Surely there must be an L-shaped valve attachment that I can screw on so that I don't have to have my hands bleed to fill air in.:finger:

Please god. Does anybody know of such a thing?

I have trouble getting the pen type tire gauges to fit tightly.

My dial guage with hose and right angle works like a charm!

Gas station hoses have not been a problem, except once when the hose had a huge hose clamp on it.

My pet peave is that one of my cheap pen gauges reads 36psi, another reads 35psi, while my $30.0 guage reads 32psi. :blink:

My pet peave is that one of my cheap pen gauges reads 36psi, another reads 35psi, while my $30.0 guage reads 32psi. :blink:

My advice is to trust the cheap gauge. They do not need to be calibrated.

Guest Jeff Kelland

Old proverb: A man with 2 watches never knows what time it is! I use a Tru-flate filler and guage with a long flexable end, expensive but easy. I was taught during my racing days to use metal valve stem caps that would seal the stem if centrifical force overcame the spring pressure of the schraeder valve in the stem! While I'm quite sure that I never rode that fast, it is food for thought. I believe that the 90 degree stems found on Ducatis etc. are to address this situation as well as to provide better access. I would be cautious about adding the 90 degree adaptor to a stock valve stem and leaving it on the wheel. Maybe it's just me, but I'd worry about the forces acting on it as it adds a bit of weight that will pull the stem sideways when centrifical force acts on it. Maybe I worry too much, but it violates my belief in the KISS theory :blink:

My advice is to trust the cheap gauge. They do not need to be calibrated.

I pick mechanic A, Or maybe mechanic D which is none of the above. :P

I like the aluminum 90 degree Ducati stem my self, now how do I sneek it off of the wifes bike with out her knowing?

Mike

Guest captain nemo

KIWI,

That's perfect!! How do I get two of them? Can you send me a URL for their website so I can order?

thanks MATE. :thumbsup:

That's perfect!! How do I get two of them? Can you send me a URL for their website so I can order?

I doubt if there is anything as sophisticated as a website. I may be able to check the local motorcycle tyre shop this weekend to see if they have any, and perhaps mail you one or two over. ^_^

Incidently, I don't leave these on my wheels. I only purchased one so I could use the modern inflators at the service stations which are designed for tin cages and approach the valve stem at almost zero degree angle. :angry: Almost impossible to use on a motorcycle wheel with twin discs.

If you intend to leave them on, then I reckon Al's suggestion of 90-degree stems being fitted a much better idea. At least they'll be included in the balancing. :thumbsup:

I was taught during my racing days to use metal valve stem caps that would seal the stem if centrifugal force overcame the spring pressure of the Schrader valve in the stem! While I'm quite sure that I never rode that fast, it is food for thought.

In the far distant past when I was racing plastic valve caps would save you a lot of time in the tech inspection line, you would be rejected before they wasted any time checking anything else. :angry:

I don't know if you need to be going all that fast, if you hit a bump just as the stem comes to the bottom of the wheel the "G" forces would be pretty strong. This strikes me (and maybe only me) as an odd place to cheap out. Food for thought indeed.

Cheers,

Lex

Guest captain nemo

Hey Kiwi,

If you can send me two of those valves, I'll send you back some BIG AMERICAN DOLLA (cash). OR a small surprise gift from Seattle. Maybe a guitar pick from Jimi Hendrix or something. Here's my address:

Captain Nemo

5609 32nd Ave. N.W.

Seattle, Washington 98107

THANKS ME MATY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:bier:

Hey Kiwi,

If you can send me two of those valves, I'll send you back some BIG AMERICAN DOLLA (cash). OR a small surprise gift from Seattle. Maybe a guitar pick from Jimi Hendrix or something.

Visited the tyre shop this morning (Saturday), but only managed to find one item, which has just been posted to you.

The guy who sold it to me reiterated that they shouldn't be used permanently on the wheel, but just for filling. He sez that the additional centrifrugal force from the added weight can rip the stem out. I didn't ask if this was conjecture or experience. If you decide you want another one after you see it, let me know and I'll order it in.

Cost including postage is about the same as a couple of pints of Sierra Nevada. Perhaps you can compensate me if I make it to the next national? :bier:

Guest Brian Robson

A company called Ariete make 90 valve stems. These are no adapters, and consequently can only be fitted when the tyre is removed. This of course runs no risk of either putting the wheel out of balance or coming off in motion.