Scura Rebuild Project

GuzzBun

I'm having my Scura completely rebuilt, the main feature being the engine which is now an 1100cc 4-valve. I'd like to share some of the detail and pictures with the Forum - is this the place to do it?

Robin

OK - thanks - I'll take that as approval to post here.

For interest, this is where it all started - Motorcycle City, Portsmouth - 28 May 2002 (the photo is grainy - antediluvian camera)

More info and photos will be posted later this evening.

Robin

Where it all started.jpg

Part 1

Way back in May 2002 I was riding my California III, which I’d owned for 9 years, when I happened to call in to Motorcycle City in Portsmouth (England) – just to see what they had on show – you know how it is! As I walked into the showroom I saw the Scura – my jaw hit the floor, and I put a deposit on it there and then.

Scura as new.jpg

By the beginning of June I had sold the Cali and was riding the roads of Hampshire and Sussex on the Scura. All my bikes have had names, and the Scura continued the tradition as Lucia.

Lucia and I covered nearly 15000 miles in the first 18 months of our marriage – the vast majority of those miles being weekend and evening pleasure riding – you know the sort of trips – from A to A by the longest route!

I had some ‘moments’ – a couple of spills, the first resulting in a plate on my collar bone, the second bending the plate and giving me a permanent ‘left-hand-down’ appearance but fortunately no loss of mobility.

Crash.jpg

The years rolled by, and Lucia became my daily commuter bike as well as my weekend pleasure machine. We travelled in Europe, went camping, and I never tired of the fun we had together. I made a few minor changes over the years, such as fitting factory race cans and chip, a carbon hugger and alternator cover, but apart from that Lucia just soldiered on.

The Camel.jpg

In late 2008 I noticed that Lucia was beginning to show signs of wear – a bit of corrosion here and there, getting slightly crusty around the edges, and there were increasingly clanky noises coming from the engine and gearbox. I decided that it was time to give her a bit of attention. My good friend Bruce Rawsthorne had been maintaining my race MGS01 (ridden brilliantly by Giles Fairclough) and I asked him if he’d be interested in rebuilding Lucia – he was instantly extremely enthusiastic and before long had taken her home to start the transformations.

The work started here - more later!

Part 1

Way back in May 2002 I was riding my California III, which I’d owned for 9 years, when I happened to call in to Motorcycle City in Portsmouth (England) – just to see what they had on show – you know how it is! As I walked into the showroom I saw the Scura – my jaw hit the floor, and I put a deposit on it there and then.

Scura as new.jpg

By the beginning of June I had sold the Cali and was riding the roads of Hampshire and Sussex on the Scura. All my bikes have had names, and the Scura continued the tradition as Lucia.

Lucia and I covered nearly 15000 miles in the first 18 months of our marriage – the vast majority of those miles being weekend and evening pleasure riding – you know the sort of trips – from A to A by the longest route!

I had some ‘moments’ – a couple of spills, the first resulting in a plate on my collar bone, the second bending the plate and giving me a permanent ‘left-hand-down’ appearance but fortunately no loss of mobility.

Crash.jpg

The years rolled by, and Lucia became my daily commuter bike as well as my weekend pleasure machine. We travelled in Europe, went camping, and I never tired of the fun we had together. I made a few minor changes over the years, such as fitting factory race cans and chip, a carbon hugger and alternator cover, but apart from that Lucia just soldiered on.

The Camel.jpg

In late 2008 I noticed that Lucia was beginning to show signs of wear – a bit of corrosion here and there, getting slightly crusty around the edges, and there were increasingly clanky noises coming from the engine and gearbox. I decided that it was time to give her a bit of attention. My good friend Bruce Rawsthorne had been maintaining my race MGS01 (ridden brilliantly by Giles Fairclough) and I asked him if he’d be interested in rebuilding Lucia – he was instantly extremely enthusiastic and before long had taken her home to start the transformations.

The work started here - more later!

Could you go into detail about the second to last sentence. The sentence with the MGS-01 in it...............

I bought my MGS01 way back in 2005 and got it road legal for daytime use in the UK. It was a truly magnificent machine, but I have to say that having been designed specifically for racing, it was quite frankly horrible on the road!

I met Giles Fairclough at the Festival of a Thousand Bikes at Mallory Park back in 2007. Giles had been riding his own Guzzi in the Thunderbike series, and the previous year (2006) had won 'Best Rookie'. I was so impressed with Giles' riding ability, and his all-round really good attitude that I offered my MGS for him to race in the next year's Thunderbike. Bruce Rawsthorne prepped the bike, making a really fine job of it. I had some extra body panels made to spare the originals in case of any whoopsies. Giles rode the bike at about 5 meets during 2008, and did incredibly well, getting something like 6 or 7 firsts, and a second (which he admitted was the result of him forgetting that he had a sixth gear!)

Tragically Giles crashed on his own bike during a track day at Cadwell that summer, and never recovered from his injuries. He left a hole that no-one could fill. I sold the MGS to a chap in Holland - he's racing it there now.

Robin

• 3 months later...

Hi Robin.

Just to let you know the V11 Sport is going great and is here to stay I think.

Just done one thing to it, had some bar end weights made to get rid of that bloody vibration.

100% better now and everyone that see's it remarks what a good job you and Bruce did.

Regards.

Jim

Hi Robin.

Just done one thing to it, had some bar end weights made to get rid of that bloody vibration.

100% better now and everyone that see's it remarks what a good job you and Bruce did.

Regards.

Jim

Hmmmm. That makes Robin's project more intriguing after reading that post - or am I missing something obvious?

What happened to Robin's rebuild?

Hmmmm. That makes Robin's project more intriguing after reading that post - or am I missing something obvious?

Different bike. Bruce had the newly powder coated engine casings for the Scura in his garage when I bought the V11 in June.

My bike ...

Forum011.jpg

• 1 month later...

Different bike. Bruce had the newly powder coated engine casings for the Scura in his garage when I bought the V11 in June.

My bike ...

Forum011.jpg

Many apologies for the long absence - the bike builds (V11 and V10) are nearing completion and I'll be posting more information and pics once Bruce sends me the pics he's taken. Meanwhile, if you're interested have a look at my Nissan Skyline R33 GTR rebuild videos on YouTube - type "RIPS BORG" into the YouTube search box - I'm Borg, and the car is "The Borg". there are about 13 videos available - had a great time in New Zealand (where the work is being done)

Robin

Hi Robin.

Regards.

Jim

All down to Bruce's abilities - he's a wizard with Guzzis, and his attention to detail is awesome!

Robin

Robin, and now the rebuild: show us the pictures and tell the story.

Well - it's actually two rebuilds - from the floor up. The Scura, and a lovely V10 I bought last summer.

In essence, this is what's been done to them...

V11 Scura

Complete bottom-up rebuild

Engine swapped for a re-built ex-Daytona 4 valve, upped to 1105cc

Oil pump replaced with Das Motec billet item (with needle roller bearings), gears replaced with steel items by Joe Caruso

Front frame modified to accommodate the 4-valve engine

Raceco camshafts

Frame, wheels, brake levers, engine and various other parts powder coated satin black (wheels grey!)

Hyraulic reservoir mountings fashioned in alloy and zylan-coated

Footpegs zylan-coated, with raised parts bare to accentuate the "grenade" look!

Carbon rear hugger

All fixings replaced with stainless items

Ohlins rebuilt

Sideplates powder coated "Jaguar Red"

Replaced all hoses (brakes and oil) with Goodrich stainless and stainless banjos and fittings

Raceco-style exhaust stainless downpipes by MHP

Factory Titanium cans

Removal of pillion pegs and hangars - replaced by alloy hangars without pillion pegs (this bike is for me - no-one else allowed!)

Carbon seat base with integral rear light cluster

Rounded-off swing-arm ends (for appearance!)

Indicators yet to be determined - suggestions welcomed

V10 Centauro

Complete bottom-up rebuild

Engine fitted with Raceco camshafts

Gearbox replaced with V11 6-speed unit - engine re-fitted 10mm to left to accommodate - actually puts the engine on the centre line of the bike!

Oil pump replaced with Das Motec billet item (with needle roller bearings), gears replaced with steel items by Joe Caruso

Swing arm replaced with V11 unit

Rear wheel replaced with 5.5 inch item to take 180 tyre

Frame powder-coated red

Wheels powder-coated grey

Engine, gearbox and final drive zylan-coated black

Footpegs zylan-coated, with raised parts bare to accentuate the "grenade" look!

Carbon rear hugger (yet to be sourced)

All fixings replaced with stainless itemsReplaced all hoses (brakes and oil) with Goodrich stainless and stainless banjos and fittings

Rounded-off swing-arm ends (for appearance!)

Indicators yet to be determined - suggestions welcomed

Bruce has been busy - pics to follow as soon as I can get them from him!

Robin