Travel To Greece?

Orson

How's Greece as a riding destination? In September?

I've heard some good bits about the mountains in the north. I tend to ride most of the day, and don't care much for stopping and visiting tourist sites, although I will stop for a good photo op.

I would definitely avoid Athens traffic.

Is it worth hopping onto a ferry from Italy, or should I just stay and ride in Italy?

How's Greece as a riding destination? In September?

I've heard some good bits about the mountains in the north. I tend to ride most of the day, and don't care much for stopping and visiting tourist sites, although I will stop for a good photo op.

I would definitely avoid Athens traffic.

Is it worth hopping onto a ferry from Italy, or should I just stay and ride in Italy?

Orson, I know, you know the area of Parma etc.

Going south you will get into the area Monti Sibillini, which is a paradise for the Motor rider.

Going further south you will get into a county Puglia, and from there (Brindisi) catching the ferry to Greece.

I never been in Greece and I don’t read much reviews about that country. I do not know if this is a bike country neither, but I think is worth.

Once in a live time we get to visit such great country with an immense historic possession.

Italy has better food and better vino, but you know that…

• 2 months later...

I was there last year on my Breva, came in from Turkey, had a great night with Dimitris and his Guzzi pals in Thessaloniki. Very nice in the North, superb mountain roads and along the coast its excellent also. The only downside is the roads are slippery due to the heat and rubber so you need to take care, no scratching unless you have very soft compound tyres Busy in the big towns but so is everywhere. I came back to Ancona in Italy, originally I was going to Bari but the ferry to Ancona left first, glad that happened. Sorry Antonio I'm half Italian and spent my formative years living in Italy but the traffic and roads were not so enjoyable, the rural roads between large towns were very busy, the Autostrada was madness and very expensive. I did though find some good roads from Pisa up to Barga which were much better and of course in the mountains near Ventimiglia where I was brought up.

I'd recomend Greece though well worth a trip, I may go back this year depending on whether my plans to go to the USA on my Norton go ahead or not. This time though I fancy going down the coast and through Albania. The easy way is Ferry from Venice or Ancona or if you like the style of driving and the roads then yes Bari!

Another option is to take the ferry to the south of Greece then back from the North.

PM me if you want any further details

Two ports of entry from Italy(Igoumenitsa or Patra)

Ships depart from Ancona or Venice.

For North Greece Igoumenitsa is the best place to start your tour.

Patra is better for touring Pelloponisos.

Depends on what you want to do, driving or summer vacs.

I will try to make some maps with my favorite bike roads,

tourist points not included since Greece has so many places and history to see.

A nice touring/endurance event is The 36hrs of Greece,

organized by Hellenic Moto Guzzi Club.

It is an open event to all makes of motorcycles, every spring(May would be for 2011)

A week end, covering almost 2000 km on the best bike roads in Greece.

270 participants were last year.

Link to 36hrs 2010-Crete

Site

Forum

Club

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the info :thumbsup:

I usually look for the twisty roads. Not goat trails but, medium to fast sweeping bends :)

I'll stop at an occasional historic site if it catches my interest.

Orson I am sorry it took me so long to respond. Personal Problems keep me away. But this is something I will find the remedy..

As fas as travelling to Greece, Gino and v11cafe gave you a picture. I strongly believe that you will enjoy riding on Greek mountains and in no time, find yourself riding along the sea.. There are so many nice places that I don't know from where to begin with.

I would recommend to focus on a certain geographical region and ride it ALL! For example Peloponnisos is a great way to enter in Greek Scenery and beauty.

Yes the Italians have better wines! (almost..).

But allow me to say that as far as food....OH!! Visit the country and you will redefine the word "tasty food". Very interesting local/traditional dishes.

For many other infos, I would be glad to share it with you.