2001 v11 sport won't start

handtius

Looks like your grey relays are Bosch. I don't recognize the black one in the FI position (5). They are labeled on their sides. Be very careful to pull them straight out and push straight back in to avoid damaging the contacts. I suppose it will be less than helpful to have two marked "FI" and two marked "headlamp" and the actual FI relay not marked.

I stopped marking the relays themselves and label the tail section adjacent:

IMG_0236.JPG

I'd like to ask another question, since you guys have been so helpful.

I'm not sure yet, but I think the previous owner might be taking me for a ride. If so, does anyone know a good guzzi shop in New York City. I'm in queens but can go to brooklyn...manhattan if i must.

also, how does the steering damper work? The previous owner said it would stop the bars from smacking tank, but the fork touches the left side of the tank when turned all the way left and the tip of the right handlebar just touches on the right. I notice a difference in tension from side to side when I adjust the damper, but should it stop it from touching the tank?

Yes, you loosen the pinch bolt around the body of the damper and slide it through a bit further so it hits the end stop before you get contact. I only know this because mine was perfect until I took it off, when I put it back I wasn't fussy enough :oldgit:

I'm not sure yet, but I think the previous owner might be taking me for a ride. If so, does anyone know a good guzzi shop in New York City. I'm in queens but can go to brooklyn...manhattan if i must.

also, how does the steering damper work? The previous owner said it would stop the bars from smacking tank, but the fork touches the left side of the tank when turned all the way left and the tip of the right handlebar just touches on the right. I notice a difference in tension from side to side when I adjust the damper, but should it stop it from touching the tank?

Yes, you loosen the pinch bolt around the body of the damper and slide it through a bit further so it hits the end stop before you get contact. I only know this because mine was perfect until I took it off, when I put it back I wasn't fussy enough :oldgit:

Stop it right there. You must NOT use the steering damper as a steering stop! It's not built to take that. Modify the real stop instead if needed. The damper is there to damp quick movements like a tank slapper. If this happens when incorrectly mounted like you describe, you will break the mounts.

Stop it right there. You must NOT use the steering damper as a steering stop! It's not built to take that. Modify the real stop instead if needed. The damper is there to damp quick movements like a tank slapper. If this happens when incorrectly mounted like you describe, you will break the mounts.

oohhkaay, I will take a close look, are there some adjustable screws or something.

If I ever get into a tank slapper will probably be more worried about my undies He He :race:

I have had some trouble the last days with the RM. Every now and then the pump won't prime when switching on. Luckily I knew right away where to look and after cleaning the relay contacts I've had no problems!

So it pays to read these pages!

The actual stop are bosses on top of the lower triple clamp that come to rest on a center tab on the lower front of the head tube. I cannot see that it is adjustable in any way. Indeed, the steering damper must be centered to use its full travel.

Even with that, I can see that my left fork body just touches the tank in full lock left. Looks like I got me the dreaded tank spread, too.:(

Looks like your grey relays are Bosch. I don't recognize the black one in the FI position (5). They are labeled on their sides. Be very careful to pull them straight out and push straight back in to avoid damaging the contacts. I suppose it will be less than helpful to have two marked "FI" and two marked "headlamp" and the actual FI relay not marked.

I stopped marking the relays themselves and label the tail section adjacent:

yeah, it would be helpful if they were properly labeled, but that's the way it came. What do you recommend. should I start fresh and replace them all?

The bosch is a fine relay afaik. Don't throw them out- a bit of acetone (nail polish remover) will likely remove the markings or smudge them into obscurity.

Dan the man (Prunske) sells replacement relays at very reasonable cost so if you do replace them, contact him. Do a web search- he's in Wisconsin.

He everyone...Thanks for all your help.

I'm borrowing a friends extra battery and the bike starts up. I still have issues with it stalling out while i ride. I've had to do a few push starts, 2 on the williamsburg bridge (luckily on the downhill side).

I did replace the 30 fuse when the whole problem started and the new one looks a little melted already. could that have something to do with it?

Also, my brake light stays one. Roy has been e-mailing me on how to check for that issue, but I'm thinking that could be draining the battery.

My idle is right around the proper level on 1000-1100, so i don't think that's it.