Converting to Handle bars

handtius

Hey Guys,

I recently joined up here. I posted asking for help with stalling issues and everyone was so helpful that I thought I'd ask for more help. Turns out I need new clip-ons and if I have to get new bars, i'd like to have a higher ride. Does anyone have any recommendations for getting a more upright position? I've seen some posts here on doing handlebars which I really like. Want I need to find out is what parts I need to do the change. Can you get it straight from guzzi or is there another company that's good where the parts are interchangeable? I'm not adverse to doing clip-ons if I can get a set that sit up higher. Does anyone know a set I can get?

Thanks again,

-ryan

Hey Guys,

I recently joined up here. I posted asking for help with stalling issues and everyone was so helpful that I thought I'd ask for more help. Turns out I need new clip-ons and if I have to get new bars, i'd like to have a higher ride. Does anyone have any recommendations for getting a more upright position? I've seen some posts here on doing handlebars which I really like. Want I need to find out is what parts I need to do the change. Can you get it straight from guzzi or is there another company that's good where the parts are interchangeable? I'm not adverse to doing clip-ons if I can get a set that sit up higher. Does anyone know a set I can get?

Thanks again,

-ryan

Ryan Moto International have what you need,see Guzziology.

Depending on which model your bike is you can use a top clamp of a Cali and what ever bars you like.

I did this and used Yamaha SR 500 bars from the wreckers.

Some machining involverd here and you may require extra weighted bar end weights to quell the vibration.

B.

Hey Guys,

Thanks again,

-ryan

Depending on which model your bike is you can use a top clamp of a Cali and what ever bars you like.

Some machining involverd here and you may require extra weighted bar end weights to quell the vibration.

B.

Hey Syd,

thanks. I've got a 2001 v11 sport. Is any drilling involved in the triple tree? Did you perform this yourself? If not, what did it cost you?

Hey Guys,

Thanks again,

-ryan

B.

Hey Syd,

thanks. I've got a 2001 v11 sport. Is any drilling involved in the triple tree? Did you perform this yourself? If not, what did it cost you?

I put a writeup in the FAQ section quite a while back. It gives all the parts and details what is needed. The short answer is yes, you will need to drill the triple tree if you install handlebars. A couple of other options (convertibars?) have since been developed that do not require drilling.

The FAQ and the search button will turn up lots of options. Moderator JRT had a great write-up on how to mount standard bars on a V11 but it appears that the link in the FAQ is dead. Maybe Jason will jump in with a new link. Forum sponsor MPH has a kit to raise the clipons that includes new clutch & brake lines. LSL makes a handlebar kit for the V11, and adjustable clipon kits are available from Verlicchi and ConvertiBars. A friend of mine drilled his to clamps and mounted a set of Triumph bars & riser from a junkyard. There are lots of options with the early Sports in particular since the forks are flush with the top clamp and there's no fairing to clear.

I used JRT's method to drill the top clamp and I mounted a set of used Ballabio bars & clamps. Works great :thumbsup:

I just installed the bar riser kit from MPH Cycles. First rate quality on the parts. It gives about two inches in rise, an inch rearward, and a couple of inches wider than stock. The kit does include a new brake and clutch hose, but does not include a longer throttle cable. You can use the stock cable with creative routing, but a longer one would be a nice addition. While at it, I installed a set of Hot Grips heated grips, can't be without. I give the MPH kit two thumbs up!

Woah, thanks for letting me know, Tom. The faq points to a page on one of my old computers that no longer exists.

The wayback machine (internet archive) still has the writeup/partslist and a couple of pictures. I'll see what I can dig up, but my backups are 1500 miles away right now.

http://web.archive.org/web/20040712085327/plasterbath.chem.uiowa.edu/tripleclamp/bars1.html

BTW, the faq points to several other's writeups- probably better than mine- so there's no lack of reading material.

The kit does include a new brake and clutch hose, but does not include a longer throttle cable. You can use the stock cable with creative routing, but a longer one would be a nice addition.

I believe the accepted solution for this particular issue is to use the throttle cable from a Centauro...