Engine cases delayed... again

Guest IanJ

I just called Moto International, to see what the status of the engine case replacement was -- they said a month or so ago that I should be called in around November for the case replacement. Anyway, the word on the phone is that MGNA now expects the replacement cases to be shipped out to dealers around April or May!

Argh!

So, anyway, I just wrote a polite but unhappy email to MGNA, copied to MI. I encourage anyone else who's concerned about the endless delays on this engine paint issue to do the same. Copy your local dealer, if you can, so everyone knows what's going. You can reach them at customerrelations@motoguzzi-us.com. If MGNA writes back to me, I'll probably post their answer on my website.

• 2 weeks later...

...who knows :rolleyes:

My dealer just got back to me after talking to MGNA. They said that so far my work isn't delayed, but they'll only know for sure a few weeks prior to the work as MGNA schedules the work and finds out if they have all the resources and funds available.

...doesn't sound like good planning to me, but alas :unsure:

So, AFAIK I am still on target for Jan/Feb :huh2:

I guess one significant issue that I can understand is that they are having to go back and paint these cases over again well after production of the finish ceased. At least if they get this right on the replacement cases, 2002 owners will have the rarest Guzzi engine finish :P One year...

al

I personally think MGNA sucks. According to my dealer my warranty replacement Rubbers for my Throttle Bodies are still back ordered after 3 months. This is what seems to me an obvious case of MGNA not stocking parts to keep the repair flow going, likely due to lack of capital.

Usually you see this in a business that is in trouble. Aprilla ought to reconsider the relationship there as the customer service aspect of Moto Guzzi in the US is so poor that I will not buy another unless there is obvious drastic improvement or another importer is running the show.

Another example is that after a freak electrical problem that killed my bike, the dealer told me that MGNA would not allow it to be a warranty claim because I had installed an aftermarket battery monitor. Even though the problem was in an entirely unrelated portion of the electrical system. Thanks MGNA.

I am convinced this is the reason so many dealers drop Guzzi is MGNA! F em. I hope Italy is listening because although I will probably keep my LeMans a long time I will also look for another bike in a year or two and although I would likely be a buyer for the maybe coming RT like sport tourer, I will likely go Ducati or Aprilla (I know same owner) if MGNA still operates this way.

Just my 2 cents but basically the warranty is only there for a major problem that they cannot blame the owner for.

Yeah, I'm not overly impressed with MGNA either. But I will say that as I peruse other manufacturer specific sites, even Honda, often the US distributors... if not even the parent company... for many of these similar issues also are problematic in a similar fashion.

...so it's not unique to Guzzi. ..maybe a bit worse for specific issues, but unfortunately not unique :unsure:

And of course, a lot has to do with the effectiveness and diligence of one's dealer. That can make a big difference. But of course, at some point, there is only so much they can do if Guzzi isn't cooperative :huh2:

al

Guest dkgross

I sure hope they don't wait til May to send me my Luggage Kit.

then again, I'm going on my 5th month of waiting for my exhaust system to be sent to MI from Teo...

I guess I forgot to follow up here. Sorry for the delay. :nerd: Here's what I wrote, and their response:

Ian,

From my reading they totally avoided the issues you raised. If (when) my engine paint goes bad (12k and still ok) I will pursue another option.

Again, I will not spend on another new Guzzi until I am sure that there after the sale service is acceptable.

THey seem to be very cheap bastards and if I spend 10-15k on a bike they should stand behind it.

I agree that the warrenty issues have been hard to deal with ,as according to this site.Fortunately,I have had little claims and they were common(relays,sidestand switches,One leak)But when you guys point out other manufacturers such as Honda etc.,keep in mind, they may sell a hundred thousand per year world wide as to MG's thousands.So the pecentage of minor failures may be statistcally way higher against MG.Granted in the long run,MG may be better built for the long mileage,but that may be due to the fact that MG is SSSSSllllow to change, so technology and the throw of the dice in styling is far less than the Japanese take in risks to be at the cutting edge.To some that's a plus ,to the ever changing new,improved,faster is better crowd,we seem like dinosaurs hanging to the edge of the tar pits.We speak about Soul in our bikes,and believe me,I feel it each time I ride mine.Then again I ask ...What if I had water cooling,could I have 125 HP?

If I had a chain,could I pull a wheely better? If they sold ten thousand more could I get a real sport-tourer like the GT,with, O MY GOD,factory hard bags?

I love my Guzzi and wouldn't part with it,but sometimes I just have to wonder.

I hope Aprilia gets MG into the loop or my next bike will be some thing else.

J.R.

So why are the cases being delayed??? Oops, they forgot that the cases have to be machine stamped with the corred ID number.... I was the fortunate recipient of an early replacement case thanks to the hard work of my dealer... but.. my block has not numbe stampe on it (yet)... This will eventually get resoved...

Richard Mathis