Titanium can repair

John in Leeds

A couple of weeks ago my 'mate' parked his bike next to mine neglecting to ensure the side stand was on hard ground. :homer: The sad though obvious result was that his bike went over onto mine and in turn the Rosso Corsa went too. Damage to indicator, clutch lever, top fairing steady and the left hand ti can. The bright side is it could have been worse if it had not fallen on my helmet :grin:

Today I removed the rivets in preparation to replace the sleave with another from Zorstec in Shipley.

A couple of observations (experts here may correct me :oldgit: ) but the only titanium part appears to be the sleeve, making me wonder where the high purchase price comes from :huh2:

Also the wadding is really dense and stitched tightly together, could be this that gives such a beautiful mellow tone to these exhausts. :notworthy:

I'll let the inmates know what the bottom line is to be cost wise later

tican3.jpg

Hi John,

Have you thought about trying to repair the titanium sleeve? It doesn't look that badly damaged from the photo, and you could always turn it round so's the damaged section is positioned where it shows least. Apparently titanium can be bent fairly easily if heated. And if it doesn't work, well you've lost nothing really, and it's not cost you anything to try. (As you can tell, I'm a total cheapskate).

Hi John,

Have you thought about trying to repair the titanium sleeve?

What he said. If you search the back archives of v11lm.com, there was a thread posted by someone who'd done just that w/ his cans.

Apparently, part of why Guzzi's Ti cans ding so easily is that they use a soft CP2? Ti or similar, vs. a 6Al4V alloy which would be much tougher [and nearly impossible to "iron out" the dings again if they were to get hit, since 6Al4V will work harden fairly quickly, or so I'm informed.]

Of course, if you've already paid for the replacement sleeve, well, fix & keep your spare so you've got a quick swap the next time some yutz knocks your bike over! :thumbsup:

Thanks Phil and Skeeve for the ideas. I'll look out some large pipe to use as an anvil and tidy up some of the damage (the pic only showed the damage in low res) as I think I will be very difficult to swage out the pitting. I'll post a couple of pictures as I progress :thumbsup:

Here's the link to the Ti can repair thread. Mine came out very good but it wasn't as badly damaged as yours is.

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13524

Just the job Tom, I do vaguely remember this from some time ago. Thanks for the reminder, makes me more confident of doing a decent job :thumbsup: