Central Italy

Orson

After a long layoff, a plan was hatched for a team orson reunion tour. While Greece was originally considered as a focal point, with team orson still recovering from their injuries and, with the Goose having been in mothballs for almost two years, it was decided to play it safe and stay close to home in an attempt to rediscover sport touring. The team was reunited at team orson world headquarters in Parma, Italy and was soon on the road heading southwards.

Tuscany

The first day would end with team orson in the Chianti region of Tuscany. The long layoff had affected team orson's endurance and they were feeling mighty sore. In the past, team orson plowed ahead, staying in a new locale every night. A decision was made to stay at one place for a few days, making day trips before moving on.

Panzano in Chianti

DSC02300.jpg

Heading southwest from Siena

DSC02293.jpg

Someone's Tuscan weekend bungalow

DSC02302.jpg

Approaching the castle in Rocca d' Orcia

DSC02304.jpg

Narrow, cobblestone streets of Rocca d' Orcia

Picture006-4.jpg

Heading south from Rocca d' Orcia, Monti Amiati, the highest peak in Southern Tuscany looms in the distance

Picture009-4.jpg

Castel del Piano

Picture025-4.jpg

Tuscan autumnal landscapes

Picture013-5.jpg

Returning to Rocca d' Orcia

Picture014-3.jpg

An elderly gentleman makes his way up the streets of Rocca d' Orcia. Team orson had been recommended a nice room nearby with an excellent restaurant

Picture017-4.jpg

Tasty twisties were also sampled

Picture022-4.jpg

We stopped to have lunch in this town whose name now escapes me.

DSC02308.jpg

Team orson was becoming all too familiar with the pleasures of Italian cuisine where, one course simply will not do. Meals were consumed with no concern given to bulging waistlines. At one lunch stop, an Italian waiter chided team orson for ordering a coke rather than wine with lunch. The fact that I was operating a motor vehicle failed to dissuade him from his stance. It was simply un-Italian. Within a week, team orson had to cut out all desserts.

Something was amiss with team orson's itinerary. Whereas in the past, an innate sense of wanderlust had propelled us onward, now, wandering aimlessly had caused a feeling of disorientation to set in. A chance meeting with a leather shop owner in Siena changed things. After learning that we were both motorcyclists, a conversation about trips and roads ensued. He mentioned the Isle of Elba and how great the roads were there. A seed had been planted and by the next morning, team orson was heading towards the Tuscan coast.

Approaching the coast through groves of olive trees

Picture031-3.jpg

I had planned to stay overnight at the ferry port of Piombino but, arriving by 3:00 P.M., I found that a ferry was leaving in 20 minutes. I purchased a ticket and was soon directed to the front of the line. I had barely enough time to get off the bike and snap this picture of the ferry before the load master was hollering at me to get my butt onboard

Picture032-3.jpg

Elba lies 18 kilometers off the coast of Tuscany so, it was a relatively quick 1 hour crossing. The island is about 40 kilometers long and roughly 10 kilometers wide. As with many islands, time seems to slow down a bit and life is carried out at a more relaxed pace than on the mainland. We found a hotel on a beach and made plans to explore the island the following day.

The cove where the hotel was located

DSC02327.jpg

The next morning we head west from the main city of Portoferraio, following the coastal highway, Monti Capanne, the highest peak on Elba in the distance

DSC02317.jpg

Approaching the town of Marciana Marina on the north coast

Picture047-2.jpg

The roads of Elba are extremely twisty but, with the heavy traffic, traveling at a sporty pace proved difficult. It seemed that a moped with flip flops and a bathing suit to sample the passing beaches might be the proper choice. After Marciana Marina however, the traffic density was reduced significantly and things began to look up.

When the road broke out of the forest onto the cliffs overlooking the west coast, I was impressed by the view. If you squinted, you might think that you were riding the Pacific Coast Highway in California

Picture048-1.jpg

Cue Tommy Chong voice: Oh wow man! That's California!

Picture050-1.jpg

I stopped in the town of Pomonte for lunch. The primi platti of frutti di mare was absolutely delicious

Picture052-2.jpg

Unfortunately, the Highway 1 similarity only lasted about 20 kilometers. Heading back east along the south coast

Picture053-2.jpg

The next day would be spent exploring the east side of the island.

Overlooking the main city of Portoferraio across the bay

Picture054-2.jpg

Approaching the town of Innamorata

Picture060.jpg

Looking back west along the southern coast from the town of Innamorata

DSC02326.jpg

After two days on the island, we boarded a ferry back to the mainland. Heading across Southern Tuscany, the landscape reminded team orson of Spain

Picture066-1.jpg

It was on this day that team orson would rediscover sport touring. From the coast, the Strada Statale 322 climbs up into the Appenines with a mix of fast, sweeping bends followed by tighter, more technical twisties. Team orson meshed into a single, strada-strafing unit, dispatching what little traffic they encountered to turn the knob to eleven. The day would end along the shores of Lago di Bolsena which, when viewed on a topographical map, is revealed to be the crater of a giant, extinct volcano.

The town of Bolsena is one of those places, lined with trees and cafes and gelaterias filled with Italians enjoying life, that make one think, "Dang, it sure would be nice to retire here".

Picture070-1.jpg

Leaving Bolsena the next morning, it's just a short hop to the hill town of Orvieto

Picture076-1.jpg

Meandering through the narrow streets of Orvieto

Picture077.jpg

The mighty, mighty Goose patrols the rampart walls for any signs of approaching Honda hordes

Picture078.jpg

Picture075.jpg

Lazio

Leaving Tuscany, team orson enters Lazio. While not as famous as Tuscany or Umbria, Lazio still has some wonderful natural beauty.

Heading into the Grand Sasso National Park north of L'Aquila

Picture084.jpg

Team orson was surprised at the quality of the twisties on the eastern fringe of the Appenine mountains. Wonderfully traffic-free, twisty roads that rivaled anything the Alps have to offer. It remains a mystery to team orson why so many focus on the Alps while leaving other fantastic roads untouched but, we are grateful for the lack of traffic

Vast wide open spaces on the northern fringe of Monti Sibillini National Park

Picture091.jpg

The town of Civitella (I think)

DSC02333.jpg

Umbria

Approaching Spoletto from the south

Picture095-1.jpg

Tuscany

After almost two weeks of unflinching, sunny blue skies, a day of rain set in. With time running out, we began to head north towards home base. In Northern Tuscany, the mountains become steeper and the terrain becomes almost alpine-like.

The Northern Tuscan spa town of Bagni di Lucca where team orson found a nice little hotel overlooking the river

Picture109.jpg

Sunny skies returned allowing for a beautiful ride through the Apuan Alps of Northern Tuscany

Picture124-2.jpg

Resistance is futile. If you see the sign of a scorpion in your mirrors, surrender to your fate at the hands of an Abarth-equipped Fiat 500

Picture122.jpg

More views of the Apuan Alps

Picture126.jpg

Popping out on the Ligurian coast near Portofino

Picture130-1.jpg

After a rest day in Portofino, team orson begins the final leg of the trip from the coast back to Parma. Team orson was a bit surprised to find some of the best roads on the trip were within a day's ride from Parma.

Impressive mountain views in the Emilia-Romagna

Picture138.jpg

The castle overlooking the town of Bardi

Picture144.jpg

One final meal

Picture145-1.jpg

Route Map to follow:

Trip statistics:

Mileage: a paltry 3200 kilometers

Riding Days: 17.5

Rest Days: 1.5

Carabinieri encounters: 0

Deer encounters: 0

Ferry crossings: 2

Bee stings: 1

Thanks for sharing a fantastic trip,Team Orson.

It makes one feel all warm and sad at the same time; almost regretful about all those trips promised but never made.Ah well, maybe Italy next year....

Andy.

Didn't you hit the Monti Sibillini Orson?

Yes, I did. Thank you for the advice

Some of the curvey roads north and south of Teramo were fantastic :race:

I only went through the north part of Monti Sibillini National Park as I had already ridden through the southern part on a previous trip :)