CAM CHAIN LIFE

guzzimeister

Hi

got a 2002 V11 with 53,000 miles on the clock. Engine has the usual Guzzi clutch clatter and slight whirr from the timing chest. Bike has been used sympathetically throughout its life, I owned it from new. Engine goes well, with no issues. I just wondered at what point one was supposed to change the cam chain or tensioner, as I can find no reference to it in any of the manuals, CDs or handbooks I have. Anybody know this?

Little bit wary about changing it without any need as I hae done this on other bikes at relativel high mileage and found the chans to be pretty well perfect. On the other hand, would be a shame to haveto do a top end rebuild.

Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers

Guzz

Mine lasts 120.000km so far. I can't say how long it will, should I guess I'd say forever. A bigger issue is probably its lengthening, uneven lengthening even. Under this aspect 120.000 is enough I think.

Hubert

If the cam chain or tensioner have worn greatly, could this be seen watching the timing mark with a timing light (strobe)? If the mark bounces around very much, the chain/tensioner should be replaced ?

Otherwise, my Sport is just over the 120,000 kM/75,000 mile mark (I am in a race with Hubert!!) and I am wondering when to do a tear down for the heads and this chain. Maybe 150,000 kM? Maybe wait til the bad noises start??:o

Well I have read a few posts here about a Guzzi's cam chain letting go....Lets just say you dont want that to happen and leave it at that. If I remember right the parts arent expensive and it didnt look really hard to do. Might be worth the piece of mind to just replace it.

... Maybe wait til the bad noises start??:o

Good starting point for some longer discussion I'd say. The word in question is "bad". Alas, as I have my ears plugged nearly all the time I'm on the V11 I'll not be able to contribute too much to it ;)

This said I must admit that last year I nearly opened the engine, to renew all its sealings, look at the valve train, things like that. But then, during winter, it's cold outside, inside the shed as well. Fortunately the spare heads I have on the shell for two years now don't age.

Hubert

Well I have read a few posts here about a Guzzi's cam chain letting go...

:huh: ??? I never heard that before - you sure?

I dunno re the V11's but Tontis would eat their way thru the cases when they got slack enough, not heard of snapping tho. Stock tensioner was nonsense. Tensioner on V11 is more...sophisticated, but I don't know how effective long term - I have no experience with them.

KB :sun:

I remembered a thread of this sort from awhile back. Did a search for "cam chain tensioner" and found it. Listed on page 7 of the search, under "timing chain tensioner", a good start for what you're looking for. Also a good reminder that while Rachethack could really be a valuable part of this forum, when he wasn't deliberately pissing people off by being an asshat... :notworthy::mg::wub:

Yeah I remember the topic and I think the bike wasnt a v11 sport but the earlier 90's model Guzzi. It had only done around 40k miles if my memory is right too. The results of the chain breaking or whatever happened were pretty catastrophic too.

I'm glad this subject was brought up again because my bike has about 38k on it now.

If anyone else here has a better memory wasnt it a guy from Greece that this happened to?

...The results of the chain breaking or whatever happened were pretty catastrophic too...

They would be - but I never heard of this happening & ime isn't any more likely to happen on a Guzzi than on any other vehicle with a chain cam motor.

KB

If it is of any significance my '96 California has 113,000 miles on the original chain and tensioner. The leMans has 41,000. I replaced the gear drive on the Centauro with a chain system because of their reliability.

As said earlier, a timing light would show, especially when rolling off the throttle.

I haven't bothered to look at the manual yet but surely there is a manufactures replacement scheduele. As with cam belts chains can and do break with horrible results. better some maintenance than kaboom

I haven't bothered to look at the manual yet but surely there is a manufactures replacement scheduele. As with cam belts chains can and do break with horrible results. better some maintenance than kaboom

Thanks very much with all the input fellas. I will try the strobe light trick and let you know how I get on.

Guzz

I've also heard of the cover gasket leaking and needing replaced. I would think that if I had the cover off and was staring at the chain and tensioner, that would be the ideal time to swap it out. Especially if it had over 50k miles on it. I know with my car you're supposed to replace the belt after 100k and other cars its around that give or take some. The chain is a wearable item like anything else, and it will eventually go bad.