Interesting GUZZI typography

belfastguzzi

I put the old MOTO GVZZI factory badge in the Bits & Bobs photo thread because of the interesting style of type used. Does anyone know of other examples of this lettering, where the U is like a V, being used so prominently?

I presume that it dates from a very particular time period?

5069901208_2734d3ec30_m.jpg

Just a guess, but if it coincides with the intro of the V7 it could simply be a reference to the new layout. Another possibility is the Etruscans used the V as a U in old text as did the rest of the empire and it may be an example of Northern Pride, or being the oldest on the block. Did Guzzi ever make a chariot? :lol: I liked the phonetics on the poster "gootsy" in the other thread too.

Just a guess, but if it coincides with the intro of the V7 it could simply be a reference to the new layout.

Nice thinking!

s the Etruscans used the V as a U in old text as did the rest of the empire and it may be an example of Northern Pride

I assumed it was the first bit: I like your further possible presumption.

I liked the phonetics on the poster "gootsy" in the other thread too.

Yes, that was an interesting educational insertion. Of its time, I think. You wouldn't get such practical helpfulness now! Rather, a bemusing description of essence of exhaust from the latest glamour Guzzi as being like the rose-scented breath of some mythical fish-god that rises from the deeps of Lake Como when the full-moon glints among the waves' shifting shadows. Then, a boast of world-shaking 45 BHP from the space-age marvel that is the latest Guzzi sports race air-cooled leviathan.

I've seen badges with typos even, what of course shall not make this example less interesting. The "V" rather belongs to the Southern Pride, if may throw this in.

Could it be that it's been an after market product at its time already?

Hubert

Could it be that it's been an after market product at its time already?

Hubert

:lol: I guess you are joking.. but just to clarify

this is an early factory badge, from a big collection of factory and MG publicity badges

...this is an early factory badge, from a big collection of factory and MG publicity badges

So it's taken from an early motorcycle, like a tankbadge for instance?

This is a badge for wearing. There were new ones produced regularly (every year?). Jacket / tie badges.

It's the Twitter / Facebook of its day. :D:wacko:

I'm just wondering if it was used in other contexts... publicity posters, a particular model name, maybe even as a tank badge?

Yes, GR – I think it's definitely derived from ye olde ancien lettering stylee U/V.

I put the old MOTO GVZZI factory badge in the Bits & Bobs photo thread because of the interesting style of type used. Does anyone know of other examples of this lettering, where the U is like a V, being used so prominently?

(emphasis added)

Yes, anything written in Latin, which had no letter "U" and used "V" for both purposes. Which is why "W" is "double-u" in English & "doble-ve" in Spanish [which is more correct if you ask me, since it's "vv" in profile.]

Basically, it's a combined reference to both Moto Guzzi's Italian heritage and the company's age. Other than that, the badge uses a basic san-serif font of little or no interest. :oldgit:

old latin, anyone knows i come from edinbvrgh

Yes, yes, yes, MvcHvggis, of course it be ye olde latine.

What I asked was.... did they use it, I mean, vse it, in any other ways at the time?

I gvess not.