Rev Limiter problem

mason

My 2002 Lemans has been intermit. hitting the rev limiter at around 5500 RPM. It will work fine then sometimes when I really get on it, it kicks in way too early. I have a power cammander, but other than exhaust it is completely stock. Wonder if anyone else has experienced this and if there are any suggestions....

thanks

Among many things, a clogged fuel filter can act as a rev limiter. Another not too uncommon cause is solenoid (fuel tap) malfunction - the pump can suck it open but you will have fuel starvation.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know for sure it is the Rev Limiter, but it does act exactly like it does where it usually kicks in. It is very random and after letting off the throttle it seems fine and will even rev past that point a few seconds later. I doubt my filter has ever been changed, with the bike having 19k on it.

Try swapping all five-pin relays around, round-robin. If you have some electric cleaner spray (preferably not WD-40 or the likes with oil in them) you could spray the relay sockets while at it. Chances are problem vanishes. Best of all, this cost you nothing to try!

+1 on the fuel starvation. Check the filter. Check power and ground to the pump also. 02 has a manual fuel tap - no worries there unless it is partially closed.

• 1 year later...

Just to follow-up on this problem, the problem was indeed the power commander. After removing and reinstalling the power cammander serveral times and watching the problem come and go with the PC, thereis no doubt the PC was causing the problem.

thanks

• 5 years later...

Was pushing the 02 Scura a little on the highway today and hit the rev limiter at ~6-7k RPM (I am not certain of this so it could have been slightly higher)....when should it kick it?  I've never had that happen before.  I've never really pushed the bike before.  Actually I didn't really think I was pushing it that hard when it happened.  I searched 'rev limiter' and came up with this link and another not related to V11's.  

Wondering if anyone knows when the rev limiter should kick in so I can make note of the exact RPMs next time.  I do not have a Power Commander, just changed the starter, recently upgraded to OMRON relays, any thoughts are appreciated?  To keep things in perspective, it has happened only once so far.  

I've hit the Rev limiter on my bike a few times before I got used to the bike. I don't believe that there is much point being on the red line when you have 6 gears.

The Ti ECU apparently has a 500 rpm higher limit than stock, but I haven't checked if this is retained in Meinolf's maps.

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=17133&page=2&do=findComment&comment=184022

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18440&do=findComment&comment=196546

Hi,

the standard 15M/RC Bins stop injecting fuel at 8398rpms and begin injecting again at 8301rpms. The TI Bin values are 8600/8398rpms.

Cheers

Meinolf

• Like 3

thanks for the info.  I think I underestimated how hard I was pushing it in the morning.  On the way to work tonight it was fine all the way to 8k without issue.