Mirror Bolts - 2000 V11 Sport

Jacob Ezzell

Included in the box of spares and bits I got with my new-to-me v11 sport are a set of stock mirrors. The bike has riser bars and bar-end mirrors installed right now. I'm not a big fan of the itty-bitty bar end mirrors, I'd like to try the stockers out. But I was a bit confused about how to install them. They thread nicely into the sockets that are integral to the brake and clutch lever mounts. But, they seem to bottom out too soon. When I hold them up next to the socket, the bolts on the end of the mirrors are longer than the socket. What gives? :) Are these not the stock mirrors?

IMG_20101027_193511.jpg

I realise it might be useful to see the whole thing. :rolleyes: This is as far in as the mirrors go before they seem to hit the upper bolt from the clutch lever mount. And hows the double nut function? I tried to rotate just one of the nuts and they seem pretty seized together. I don't want to over-torque something and break it by accident.

IMG_20101027_195727.jpg

IMG_20101027_195814.jpg

I have the same mirrors. As Hubert says there is a washer about 2 mm thick but until you free up the locking nut you will have trouble getting them to stay put.

To free mine I wraped the bent section of stem in cardboard and clamped it in a vice and used a ring spanner on the nut. A drop of penetrating oil will help also.

Actually the stock mirrors are useless IMHO, they give a great view of your elbows and have a bad blind spot. I added a small convex stick on in the corner, now at least I can see something coming up behind. I have the stock Clip-ons, perhaps with your risers they may work better, please let us know.

Roy

I have the same mirrors. As Hubert says there is a washer about 2 mm thick but until you free up the locking nut you will have trouble getting them to stay put.

To free mine I wraped the bent section of stem in cardboard and clamped it in a vice and used a ring spanner on the nut. A drop of penetrating oil will help also.

Actually the stock mirrors are useless IMHO, they give a great view of your elbows and have a bad blind spot. I added a small convex stick on in the corner, now at least I can see something coming up behind. I have the stock Clip-ons, perhaps with your risers they may work better, please let us know.

Roy

I have stock mirrors on extender blocks meant for a fazer 600 (I also have standard clip-ons). They push the mirrors out and forwards and I can now see past my elbows and by some miracle all blurring due to vibration has disappeared. I will take a photo and post it here when I find the camera.

So which of the nuts is the locking nut? Which should I try to rotate? The one closer to the mirror or the one away from the mirror? Instinct tells me the one away from the mirror, but instinct has led me to breaking many bits. :)

Roy

I have stock mirrors on extender blocks meant for a fazer 600 (I also have standard clip-ons). They push the mirrors out and forwards and I can now see past my elbows and by some miracle all blurring due to vibration has disappeared. I will take a photo and post it here when I find the camera.

Can't find the camera (will have to empty the toy box) but there are tons on Ebay for about £12 - search for mirror extenders. Make sure you get the right size; I am fairly sure mine were for a Yamaha FZ6 but then again I stole them from my brother's garage.

The lower portion with the 20mm hex should thread fully into the bracket on the clip-on. With the stalk of the mirror inserted, the "upper" black 21 mm sleeve will screw down to make the lock.

Properly installed, you can return your Guzzi to the original blurry view to the rear obscured only by your elbows.:rolleyes:

IMG_0614.JPG

Included in the box of spares and bits I got with my new-to-me v11 sport are a set of stock mirrors. The bike has riser bars and bar-end mirrors installed right now. I'm not a big fan of the itty-bitty bar end mirrors, I'd like to try the stockers out. But I was a bit confused about how to install them. They thread nicely into the sockets that are integral to the brake and clutch lever mounts. But, they seem to bottom out too soon. When I hold them up next to the socket, the bolts on the end of the mirrors are longer than the socket. What gives? :) Are these not the stock mirrors?

IMG_20101027_193511.jpg

Docc beat me too it.

Exploded view attached

The bottom part is screwed home into the lever as docc says, then you tighten the clamp by screwing down the large nut.

The steel spacer is just under 3.5 mm thick. about 4 regular washers should do it if they aren't in you box of bits, or perhaps you could shorten it's thread.

The large nut will be very tight, soak it in penetrating oil for a day or two, clamp the lower bolt in a vice or a 6 sided socket and unscrew the large nut. You may only get it to move about 1/2 turn then you can wiggle the mirror back and forth until it comes out.

Once you have the mirror stem out coat the parts with some form of anti rust, mine seized up solid in just a few months.

Good Luck

Mirrors.jpg

.... Properly installed, you can return ....

Thanks Docc, for the picture. Haven't touched these screws myself so far by exactly the same educative results instinct led me to in the past and today. My thanks also to Jacob for bringing this so stringendly to the point.

Hubert

... lower portion with the 20mm hex should thread fully into the bracket...

Thanks for the pic Docc, makes perfect sense now. I'll try to at least get them loose, and I'll keep an eye out on ebay for some extenders.

Or I could put both sets of mirrors on, kind of the Richard Hammond in Saigon look.

Vietnam-scooters-02s.jpg

The Mirror extenders look great but surely they put the mirrors further out in harms way. Would they snap off at the extender if dropped?

Perhaps the stem could be replaced with a longer one for the same effect.