what do you think of this purchase?

DeBenGuzzi

a fellow forum member got me onto this bike

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/mcy/2047737701.html

its got an updated ECU and warranty on that, ducati design upgraded headlight 12,650 miles and the big service done recently with new belts

cons needs an oil change, needs new tires in a few thousand, will probably need a new chain at th at time also, has a salvage title and is plated to south dakota he says I don't need to worry about inspections as its already licensed but I am not totally sure on the process the bike was knocked over upon transport to him when he purchased it and the cracked fairing plus dented tank and muffler sent the bill well over the value threshold so the damage is cosmetic, the levers are bent a little and are annoying so would need to get some pazzo's or similar oh and those mirrors he put on are terribly ugly and don't fit the bike those would have to go.

I got him down to 2700 but yet I'm not totally sure this is the best idea, have always wanted a Ducati and there isn't a cheaper easier to maintain version to be had. Might be worth buying and getting basic liability insurance to just ride the wheels off of it and sell it for parts when I upgrade. Thoughts, ideas?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only problem with that bike is that you'll probably fall in love with it and want to spend a lot of money pimpin it out! Lol I think that is one sweet friggin bike for under 3 grand and if you're going to buy a bike in that price range you cant go wrong with that one.

A mouse studying to become a rat. Engine is easy enough to work on but a pig to get at. Expect it to devour valve guides, especially on the rear cylinder.

Pete

so youre saying thats a bad thing I take it :huh:

I get it, thats bad but how big of a problem is that? would it be extremely optimistic to get 30k on one of these? I've seen many aprilias in that range without a single problem ducati scares me because I haven't seen many over 20 without lots of problems. :unsure:

The ST2 (from what I know of it) is probably the most reliable Duc you can get at that price. Air cooled, 2 valve head, mild tune, etc... The few guys I know that have them love them. And you can always add pipes and whatnot as you can afford it. BUT, if it needs tires, levers, fluids, and all that to be safe it's gonna cost another grand to get going, not to mention all the DMV crap. All that said, though, it looks like a sweet bike for the price. And really, even if the stock seat's not great for a sport-tour, how bad could it be compared to your V11 or RSV-R? :huh2:

If you're anything like me, you've probably already bought it mentally and just haven't figured it out yet :grin:

The ST2 (from what I know of it) is probably the most reliable Duc you can get at that price. Air cooled, 2 valve head, mild tune, etc... The few guys I know that have them love them. And you can always add pipes and whatnot as you can afford it. BUT, if it needs tires, levers, fluids, and all that to be safe it's gonna cost another grand to get going, not to mention all the DMV crap. All that said, though, it looks like a sweet bike for the price. And really, even if the stock seat's not great for a sport-tour, how bad could it be compared to your V11 or RSV-R? :huh2:

If you're anything like me, you've probably already bought it mentally and just haven't figured it out yet :grin:

don't need pipes the stockers are plenty loud and its not a bike I would care to pipe out, tires are just about 30% left for life at most and the levers are fine I just don't like them they curl up a bit and more so on the clutch side I found it annoying but an easy fix, new tires and chain will be about $500 but could roll with it easy enough until next fall or even first thing in the spring. Seat is just personal preference I had a rich maund seat and the aprilia seat was pretty damn awesome actually I had no complaints there until 3 or 4 hours in the saddle. I know I kind of have if I'm looking up some parts, the DMV sounds bad I'm going to goto one tomorrow and ask questions before I go any further and don't any of you feel scared to be more than blunt with me I don't want to make a terrible decision but it does look a lot better than the KLR650's I was looking at in the same price range.

don't need pipes the stockers are plenty loud and its not a bike I would care to pipe out, tires are just about 30% left for life at most and the levers are fine I just don't like them they curl up a bit and more so on the clutch side I found it annoying but an easy fix, new tires and chain will be about $500 but could roll with it easy enough until next fall or even first thing in the spring. Seat is just personal preference I had a rich maund seat and the aprilia seat was pretty damn awesome actually I had no complaints there until 3 or 4 hours in the saddle. I know I kind of have if I'm looking up some parts, the DMV sounds bad I'm going to goto one tomorrow and ask questions before I go any further and don't any of you feel scared to be more than blunt with me I don't want to make a terrible decision but it does look a lot better than the KLR650's I was looking at in the same price range.

The only other thing I would throw out there is that you're still looking at a Ducati. With all the attendant cost that can come with it. So you really have to be ready to sign on for the higher upkeep, unless you're up on desmo valve maintenance and the like. Whereas some dual sport thing will have a lot less cost involved with both maintenance and replacement parts if needed, and better mileage to boot.

Okay, I'm now out of responsible things to say. Just buy the damn thing and be done with it!!!

The only other thing I would throw out there is that you're still looking at a Ducati. With all the attendant cost that can come with it. So you really have to be ready to sign on for the higher upkeep, unless you're up on desmo valve maintenance and the like. Whereas some dual sport thing will have a lot less cost involved with both maintenance and replacement parts if needed, and better mileage to boot.

Okay, I'm now out of responsible things to say. Just buy the damn thing and be done with it!!!

OH I would but my buddy showed me a better one at motoprimo I'm going to try talking them down then no DMV headache no damage, newer tires, and the seat and exhaust I want already on it

http://www.cycletrader.com/find/listing/1998-Ducati-St2-97406136

much better option if I can get them down to 3, hope I can then it would make the one I was looking at for 2700 looks like a huge mistake, I think that statement can be made of all ducati's but then how many were purchased with a reasonable thought process?

A couple of years ago a friend asked me what I thought of the ST2(as he'd been offered one for very little money) and I told him what my Ducati mechanic had told me.

My Ducati mechanic Ducati John needed a loan bike to lend to customers so bought an old ST2(because it was really cheap), after several months he began to notice that everybody he lent it to commented on how nice it was (regardless of what they normally rode)and that actually without noticing he was using it rather than his own 851 when he needed a bike.

My friend bought the ST2 and loves it !!!

A couple of years ago a friend asked me what I thought of the ST2(as he'd been offered one for very little money) and I told him what my Ducati mechanic had told me.

My Ducati mechanic Ducati John needed a loan bike to lend to customers so bought an old ST2(because it was really cheap), after several months he began to notice that everybody he lent it to commented on how nice it was (regardless of what they normally rode)and that actually without noticing he was using it rather than his own 851 when he needed a bike.

that about seals it for me as to which ducati I should own if ever, I'm going to try for it.

that about seals it for me as to which ducati I should own if ever, I'm going to try for it.

Sorry i lighted that fire Ben:grin: I have done the salvage title and it's simple, make appointment ride it over to inspection.. If it has brakes and blinkers you'll pass and they give you a clean title.

I'm jealous but I have this,

IMAG0315.jpg

clicked over to 19,000 miles pulling in the garage last night.

A mouse studying to become a rat. Engine is easy enough to work on but a pig to get at. Expect it to devour valve guides, especially on the rear cylinder.

Pete

so youre saying thats a bad thing I take it :huh:

I get it, thats bad but how big of a problem is that? would it be extremely optimistic to get 30k on one of these? I've seen many aprilias in that range without a single problem ducati scares me because I haven't seen many over 20 without lots of problems. :unsure:

Not saying its a bad thing. Simply go in with your eyes wide open. The air cooled two valved belty engines are both reliable and robust as you'd expect of an engine that has been in production since God was a boy but they are hard on valve guides. Access for servicing is a bit less than wonderfull due to the plastic but if the price is right, and three grand is pretty low by most standards, then why not?

Pete