what do you think of this purchase?

DeBenGuzzi

a fellow forum member got me onto this bike

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/mcy/2047737701.html

its got an updated ECU and warranty on that, ducati design upgraded headlight 12,650 miles and the big service done recently with new belts

cons needs an oil change, needs new tires in a few thousand, will probably need a new chain at th at time also, has a salvage title and is plated to south dakota he says I don't need to worry about inspections as its already licensed but I am not totally sure on the process the bike was knocked over upon transport to him when he purchased it and the cracked fairing plus dented tank and muffler sent the bill well over the value threshold so the damage is cosmetic, the levers are bent a little and are annoying so would need to get some pazzo's or similar oh and those mirrors he put on are terribly ugly and don't fit the bike those would have to go.

I got him down to 2700 but yet I'm not totally sure this is the best idea, have always wanted a Ducati and there isn't a cheaper easier to maintain version to be had. Might be worth buying and getting basic liability insurance to just ride the wheels off of it and sell it for parts when I upgrade. Thoughts, ideas?

Be very aware that this particular model, for some reason, is hard on swingarm bearings. Also be aware that the swingarm rotates in the back of the engine block. I know of two that had wornout to such a degree that emergency surgury had to be pe3rformed with JB weld, and a quick reduced cost sale!!!!

Steve

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HEAR YE HEAR YE, I got one better YET, I'm f'n awesome I just got THIS bike instead

http://www.cycletrader.com/find/listing/1998-Ducati-St2-97406136

for 3k, 3300 OTD has sergeant seat(they list is as corbin but I bet my left butt cheek its now I've seen them both looking on ebay), CF fender and exhaust, new tires, freshly done 12k service no salvage title or damage and from a reputable dealer I talked them down to 3k, ALL BE JEALOUS and bow before me, Brad you did light the fire and I have to thank you and when I went to test ride that bike everything didn't really add up so I was a little weary and the bike I have since purchased from that encounter is miles better, Insurance will be on the bike friday and I'll be able to pick it up monday, stupid good insurance rates full coverage $50 ded plus full tow and breakdown coverage for $20 a mo. Brad I owe you a root beer we'll go on a ride in the spring. I'm buying.

HEAR YE HEAR YE, I got one better YET, I'm f'n awesome I just got THIS bike instead

http://www.cycletrader.com/find/listing/1998-Ducati-St2-97406136

for 3k, 3300 OTD has sergeant seat(they list is as corbin but I bet my left butt cheek its now I've seen them both looking on ebay), CF fender and exhaust, new tires, freshly done 12k service no salvage title or damage and from a reputable dealer I talked them down to 3k, ALL BE JEALOUS and bow before me, Brad you did light the fire and I have to thank you and when I went to test ride that bike everything didn't really add up so I was a little weary and the bike I have since purchased from that encounter is miles better, Insurance will be on the bike friday and I'll be able to pick it up monday, stupid good insurance rates full coverage $50 ded plus full tow and breakdown coverage for $20 a mo. Brad I owe you a root beer we'll go on a ride in the spring. I'm buying.

Of course you do know now that you have purchased a motorcycle, it will snow. :grin:

Looks like a very nice bike, and as the 12k service has just been done you don't have to worry about spending $7-800 on another service until 18k. I recall test riding one of these at ProItalia when they first came out - I guess that was '98 - and really liked it at that time. I was just into sport riding rather than sport touring, so I ended up with something else. Good luck with your new ride.

you know how I really feel? I should have never sold the Guzzi, then I wouldn't be in this mess now would I? I know I'll love this bike as much if not more in different ways, performance feels similar to the guzzi (its sure no Aprilia) but I like it that way I don't need tickets I need to ride. :bike:

you know how I really feel? I should have never sold the Guzzi, ...bla...

You have got that right!

That's what everyone on the forum has told you. Don't sell it!

No matter the silly colors you have had on the V11, it was a bike.

The ST2 isn't a bike for you. It is a bike but not the bike.

I have rode it, and as a Guzzista has this bike not the level to be rode by a Guzzista.

You know what I mean...

A lot of money to pimp him up, after a year you'll start looking for a bike by your level.

A mouse studying to become a rat. Engine is easy enough to work on but a pig to get at. Expect it to devour valve guides, especially on the rear cylinder.

Pete

so youre saying thats a bad thing I take it :huh:

I get it, thats bad but how big of a problem is that? would it be extremely optimistic to get 30k on one of these? I've seen many aprilias in that range without a single problem ducati scares me because I haven't seen many over 20 without lots of problems. :unsure:

I could point u at several high milage unit with no problems and my sister inlaws bike with 125000ks still going well not blowing any smoke or using oilglare.gif

I could point u at several high milage unit with no problems and my sister inlaws bike with 125000ks still going well not blowing any smoke or using oilglare.gif

Nice bike Ben!

A guy I worked with a few years ago had over 60k miles on his ST2 with no major problems. He said that he stuck to the factory service schedule and always had the work done by a highly regarded local shop, BCM Ducati.

You do know that as a Ducati owner you'll need to set aside some money for a humpy race leathers, plastic boots, carbon fiber gee-gaws, and other Ducati "accessories"? Maybe you & your fellow Ducatisti JRT can get a package deal? :P

0-c9309d92-300.jpg05657508.jpg987762020.jpg

Yeah who called it going to pick it up Monday it's supposed to snow all weekend but that's ok no accumulation and 49 and sunny Monday and Tuesday I should be able to put on at least 100 mi then put her on the tender till spring hits.

Congrats, I believe that is a really great bike. I have yet to test ride one but I will. I think the concept is perfect for my riding style: 90% touring but just toss the bags and you are set for a track day.

Yeah, thanks Tom. I especially like the sneakers and hip-belt-purse thingy :homer:

Ben, it's a fun bike. I've an ST4s, which increases the number of valves and maintenance costs by a factor of four. Eh, that's ok. It's a fun and comfortable ride.

Mind you, I'm not selling any of my Guzzi's...yet....but I do admit to enjoying the occasional Ducati :wub:

Yeah, thanks Tom. I especially like the sneakers and hip-belt-purse thingy :homer:

No Ducati aftershave for you??? :D

I hope we can squeeze in another ride before the snow flies. I'll be in touch if conditions look good...

you know how I really feel? I should have never sold the Guzzi, then I wouldn't be in this mess now would I? I know I'll love this bike as much if not more in different ways, performance feels similar to the guzzi (its sure no Aprilia) but I like it that way I don't need tickets I need to ride. :bike:

i missed the start of this thread, why did you sell your guzzi? i'm new to guzzi's after lusting after one for 30 or so years.

i'm thinking of selling my '83 BMW R100RS that i've had 20 or so years. i know i'll regret it.....it is uninspiring to ride compared to my new to me '02 lemans. BUT....if i actually had to go somewhere, i'd take the beemer, these /7s are bulletproof. and comfortable for long rides, with about 50mpg. having said this, i have a sea kayak i use couple times a month, 3 road bicycles i ride about 3000 mi a year, an old VW i need to rebuild the engine in(again), full time job, a high maintainance 115 yr old house,a guy just has so much time, no?

do you guys in minneapolis get to ride much in the winter? here in sw washington state it rains pretty much from now thru june, but not much snow & ice, although i took a pretty bad header on the bicycle on ice last winter.

my lemans looks a lot like fotoguzzi's, & i love it.....

good luck on your M/C hunt.

stef

ps, didn't pirsig & the sutherland's start their ride i "zen and the art of motorcycle maintainance" in minneapolis? loved the book.

I picked her up today, so far it might need a new battery, was already wired for a trickle charger but I could tell they had a full on charger hooked up to it before I got there it was sitting next to it, besides a new battery(maybe) just needs some new billet or stock reservoir covers some roll-a-click levers of some type for better feel and adjustability, new grips and bar ends for looks and because they just look old, possibly heated but I don't want to tax the electrical system much if at all so heated gloves might be the answer to that. Haven't decided on any of it maybe the rizoma grips but that are too trick looking for an old sport tourer probably just some progrip gel replacements and manic salamander bar ends plus CRG or their clones, have any of you noticed pazzo's are MORE expensive now? those knock offs think they got a name for themselves now WTF? Oh the mechanic said it wouldn't hurt to get a new slave for a much easier clutch pull and I agree so I'll be looking into that plus maybe a new solid black windscreen, anyone have good places to start me searches besides ebay? oh I'll be on ebay also but thats an obvious one.

I wish I could give more of a ride report I really liked the corbin so far, clutch is different that dry clutch feels like it isn't going to grab then bam it does, rides smooth, guy put brand new dunlop qualifiers on the thing before he traded it in on a multistrada, those won't last long. It has more power than the guzzi but less than the aprilia fits perfectly in the middle and the luggage is nice, need a spare key made for the panniers but they cut an extra ignition key for me right on the spot.

I picked her up today, so far it might need a new battery, was already wired for a trickle charger but I could tell they had a full on charger hooked up to it before I got there it was sitting next to it, besides a new battery(maybe) just needs some new billet or stock reservoir covers some roll-a-click levers of some type for better feel and adjustability, new grips and bar ends for looks and because they just look old, possibly heated but I don't want to tax the electrical system much if at all so heated gloves might be the answer to that. Haven't decided on any of it maybe the rizoma grips but that are too trick looking for an old sport tourer probably just some progrip gel replacements and manic salamander bar ends plus CRG or their clones, have any of you noticed pazzo's are MORE expensive now? those knock offs think they got a name for themselves now WTF? Oh the mechanic said it wouldn't hurt to get a new slave for a much easier clutch pull and I agree so I'll be looking into that plus maybe a new solid black windscreen, anyone have good places to start me searches besides ebay? oh I'll be on ebay also but thats an obvious one.

I wish I could give more of a ride report I really liked the corbin so far, clutch is different that dry clutch feels like it isn't going to grab then bam it does, rides smooth, guy put brand new dunlop qualifiers on the thing before he traded it in on a multistrada, those won't last long. It has more power than the guzzi but less than the aprilia fits perfectly in the middle and the luggage is nice, need a spare key made for the panniers but they cut an extra ignition key for me right on the spot.

Just keep it hooked up to the trickle charger. The batteries on these things is embarrassingly small.