850 Le Mans I

Dimitris

:thumbsup: You should have more tuning options with that electronic ignition installed. there are some out there with different ignition maps available in the unit. Makes more sense than points, which are getting harder to find arent they? Very fortunate to find one in that condition. Love the old motor they seem mechanically quieter to me and are better looking in my view. Thats a bike to hold onto. Cheers :bier:

They are very nice BUT in real terms, apart from the fact it's a MkI it isn't anything 'Special' so please don't be tempted to hop it up or hot rod it. If you want to do that buy some beaten up old SP or G5 and use that as a platform.The fact that it has a VE frame and VE engine number means it is a desirable beast. There are plenty of things you can do to restore it to its former glory WITHOUT compromising its MkI-iness.

Obvious among these will be new fork dampers and shocks, then a brake overhaul as the Mk I's used the shitty chromed steel pistons in the calipers, (Easily checked with a magnet!).

Other than that? remember it IS a thirty five year old vehicle with I imagine a limited, if available at all, service record. If it was mine I'd strip it to the last nut and bolt and go through it with a fine tooth comb but I realize that this probably isn't possible for many people.

They are a lovely old thing, but please, love it for what it is. Don't try and make it into something it can never become. It's not a 'Modern' bike and while it will still punch well above its weight if it is well maintained and serviced it should still be seen as what it was. A 'Top of the Class' rather than a 'Class Leader' from a third of a century ago.

Enjoy.

Pete

Dear Pete,

I don't intend to "boost" it, or alter the engine, so as to "gain" more power. As you said, there are plenty of other motorbikes for doing that job.

As a matter of fact, I just enjoy seeing, riding, hearing this machine. And I want it to be just as it was, when it was leaving the factory doors, back in the '70s..

I will ckeck the steel pistons in the calipers.

Thank you!

Dimitris