Why's it gone so quiet round here?

I always liked this forum cos of the widespread experiences that it encompassed - an interesting, disparate group of characters - I like to hear how someone the other side of the world sees things, how life is where they are, what the country looks like, the roads, the weather, the people, whatever... & the way people of clearly differing views managed to get on...or perhaps ultimately they don't? Other sites seem to encompass a pretty narrow worldview - cliquey, clubby, insular, dull - small core group recycling the same guff, moaning & groaning about everyone but themselves. My mother-in-law used to tell my kids: "if you're bored you're boring". So is it just me, or has the nature of the Guzzi forums changed over the last few years? Has the format just got stale?

Nadolig Llawen!

KB

Yes I think the place has gone very quiet especially since Rachet got the flick as muchas I disliked him he livened the place up. I think all forums have their sub groups and people naturally gravitate towards like minded people. All forums seem to have those that want to shoot everyone down, those that only read, and those that want to share every thought that passes through there brain. For me the guzzi is no longer the new bike and I'm having no problems with it, I've bought another dirt bike and a Bultaco 350 for a cafe project so my intrest lies elswhere at the moment. I still look in occasionally but I have more intrest in a dirt bike forum called ADV at the moment as it has local content and some people on it live within 200ks so we ride together sometimes

crossy.gif

Well, its the middle of winter at least up here in the northern hemisphere. Theres a pretty bad economy which lends to less motorcycle activity is another probable cause. The third and most likely reason is Moto Guzzi stopped making the v11 lemans and sport about 6 or 7 years ago now. Everyone in here has had their v11 for awhile now and reads the forum regularly and knows how to troubleshoot the bike.

Its just getting to be a smaller more knowledgeable crowd by the year. We have had a few non v11 related subjects over the years which degenerated into virtual shouting matches between bike owners that would otherwise have gotten along very well.

Maybe in the next few years we will have a new breed of v11 owner, and more new types of large mileage wear issues that will need to be discussed.

In the meantime we still have the HOOTERS thread! :notworthy:

tenni001small.jpgMaybe now that our bikes are all broken in, adjusted, modified, and sorted to such a high degree, nothing is breaking anymore! :rolleyes:

Admittedly, I've spent a lot of time wrenching on my new toy, a '74 BMW R90/6, that I'm sort of turning into a mild cafe bike kinda thing. But I have been busy on the Goose, as well.

I finally got my Tenni back together following a fairly extensive tear down. After about 18 months of little use and lots of sitting (moving, year long deployment, marriages, births etc. being somewhat of an excuse) it needed grease, oil, lots of grommets and clamps, corrosion work, and a deep cleaning in all the nooks and crannies. Not to mention the rear caliper had a bad habit of locking up, due to crud build-up in the caliper and a plugged expansion port in the cylinder.

Other things finally done:

-Buell pegs (I've had these in the kitchen drawer for two years. The former girlfriend (now wife) has used her new status as matriarch to politley ask me to remove all motorcycle parts from the kitchen). The position is now much more comfortable than I thought that inch drop would give me, but the brake and shifter positions are outta whack of course. Not sure if I'll keep this or not. Fine for commuting, bad for sporting. We'll see if I can get used to it or not.

-Rizomo Grips, end weights, and CRG levers Wow, what a difference in feel. I'm glad I waited till the engine had broken in, though, as they let a few more vibes through. Still, worth it.

-Mud guard deleted Not sure why I waited on this either. Much cleaner look.

-Wiring harness I re-routed all the wiring that was uncovered after the airbox delete. Much cleaner look now. Cleaned connectors and replaced a bunch that were corroded as well. Finally fixed the wire that broke on the left horn.

-Air filters After pondering a way to add some length back into the intake track, I realized that the stock plastic tubes could be used, so I attached those in between the TB's and the K&N pods. Feels like I got a little low end back, and now I can get the dyno tune done, as all is at it should be again.

-Engine temp sensor I know this one's touchy, but I was having lots of trouble post-brass temp sensor install. So, using a cutoff wheel in a dremel tool, I cut slots in the grooves all the way around it, and fashioned a heat-sink out of big fender washers that also serve to pull the sensor away from the head a bit as well. In short, it helped noticeably. Waaay less popping, wheezing and backfiring when hot (read: almost none). Next step is doc's holder fashioned from delron.

Also, I tried to fix the tach, which was stuck at 1200 RPM. Now I have a nice little cubby to hold the garage door opener. :glare:

So many V11s have changed hands that it's been fun watching the "New Guard" taking on the beast.

Last year's South'n Spine Raid was the best yet (Number Six!) with quite a few surprise attendants. Next year: SSR Seven in Twenty-Eleven!

The Sport needs a major tear down to get to that broken rear sub-frame, but I delay while I sniff out someone that can reliably weld the chrome moly.

I keep looking at the new bikes, but nothing has got the brio of the V11 for me so far!:mg:

This forum has a particular specialty, that being a single model motorcycle [essentially the spine frame Guzzi]that in the larger picture, is quite rare, hence a smaller captive audience. It's simply a case of numbers.

That could be it :)

my '02 Tenni is now almost 9 years old.

It could be that many V11 owners have moved on and the people they sold their bikes to, never found this forum.

I suppose it's the nature of things,some guys wander in for a while and wander off again. :whistle:

How you doin anyway you aul rascal? :D

Still in Bahrain? How's it going out there? I was there this time last year \...glad to be home, tell you that. Although a pint at JJ's would be nice. Probably won't be out that direction until next summer I suppose.