What came to be called... motorcycles

Great video, too bad they didn't find some one to edit the narration who had a clue what they were talking about. Misspelling Benelli in the title? "Driver" for rider? "Gear Shaft" for cam shaft, "Ken Carruthers" for Kel Carruthers? I caught a few more, there are probably more I missed since I don't know much about Benellis. I'd make a joke about Italian quality control but the narrator sounded British. :bbblll:

Lex

Unless I am mistaken- nice corner shot of the 250 Guzzi at the 6 minute mark! Cool video. At least they mentioned the 39-45 period, something I havent seen Guzzi history cover at all. Neat how time and engineering wrap around, First the Benelli Sei and Honda CBX, now BMW's K1600. :grin:

"Driver" for rider? ... I'd make a joke about Italian quality control but the narrator sounded British. :bbblll:

"Driver" is more correct, since motorcycles, unlike horses, don't have minds of their own... Sometimes you'll hear "pilot" & "pillion" applied to motoryclists, as opposed to "driver" & "passenger:" "rider" is somewhat passive, so doesn't necessarily convey the correct nuance at times.

Don't blame the narrator for the mistakes! He was just reading from a script, and with any likelihood, knew nothing about the topic for which he had been hired to supply his vocal talent... ;)

Skeve,

I'm not sure where you are so they may be a difference in our version of English but where I live one rides a motorcycle and drives a car. When I hear some one say "driver" for a motorcycle operator generally also hear them make statements that indicate they know nothing about motorcycles. "I my neighbor drives the fastest motorcycle ever, it is a Harley really loud pipes!" or "I'd never drive a motorcycles, them motorcycles kills everybody that rides".

No, I don't blame the person speaking. I am old enough (sadly much more then old enough) to understand the difference between a narrator and writer.

Belfast,

Thanks. I had trouble placing the accent but just thought it was my tin ear. I'm fairly sure it isn't Italian.

Lex

..."Driver" is more correct, since motorcycles, unlike horses, don't have minds of their own... "rider" is somewhat passive, so doesn't necessarily convey the correct nuance at times...

Once more the descent into pedantry...it's always more complex than that - I guess if your riding is just sitting on the back of something that goes it's own way, then it might be passive (& possibly more accurately described as "steering" ?) - but if you are making a m/c do what you want, not what it wants (minded or not), then you are RIDING it & that is anything but passive. Riding & driving can be passive or aggressive. Guess there's all sorts of rides :whistle: (& drives). But maybe most times anything inherently stable you DRIVE, anything unstable ...you RIDE... :huh:

Tazio Nuvolari:

Mert Lawwill: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmVfrS8OEVw

KB :sun:

PS. BFG - how do you do that so that the utube pic + play icon comes up instead of just the written link? Thanks. PPS. - did you get my pm?

Baldi,

Copy the link

select the button at the far right of the toolbar above (I think the icon is meant to look like 3 monitor screens behind each other). It's the 'Insert Media' button.

Screen shot 2011-01-04 at 14.05.17.png

Click it, paste the media url into the box and then confirm by clicking on the insert media button in the box.

Or just add media tags at either end of the url.

Either will give you:

{media]http://www.youtube.com/bigracingcars[/media}

- obviously with [ ] rather than { ] used above, so that they show -

Which when posted, gives you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmCJvDUWXaY

I got your PM thanks.

Must reply.

D

Lex,

Just as an item of interest – I'm intrigued by the local Northern Ireland sounds in the narration.

I don't think it's an Italian speaking English. It may be someone speaking English as a foreign language: don't know where they'd be from.

Then, could you say 'a driver rides a bike' or would this be the sociolectic overkill? Or what if you accidentally let slip a phrase like "a horse drives its rider crazy"?

In case one comes up with an easy answer we could take the next step and clarify the difference between push and jump start.

hubert

the next step and clarify the difference between push and jump start.

In the old days,

one would push start a passive motor car and

one would jump start an aggressive motor cycle, or horse.

Nowadays, we don't do that sort of thing.

... one would jump start an aggressive motor cycle, or horse.

Nowadays, we don't do that sort of thing.

Hm, I was told you use two bricks for jump starting aggressive horses. Now it makes sense why it's said you should never jump start a V11.

I've also heard people talking about piloting a motorcycle, as if they could fly :grin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfE47Cd2WvQ

hubert

clarify the difference between push and jump start.

hubert

push start is when your wife is along and she pushes,

Jump start is when you have to run along side to get up enough speed then you jump on the bike and pop the clutch..?

ps, the Convert has to get up to 34mph to bump start so she better be able to really push it!

Screenshot2011-01-01at25414PM.png

Hm, I was told you use two bricks for jump starting aggressive horses. Now it makes sense why it's said you should never jump start a V11.

I've also heard people talking about piloting a motorcycle, as if they could fly :grin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfE47Cd2WvQ

hubert

You mean I can't fly?

By the way - how come 2 strokes never seize when the camera is on them?