Australia flooding

Admin Jaap

Yup. It's pretty serious in Queensland at the moment. Rockhampton, which is one of the larger towns on the North Coast is underwater. Good news is that loss of life has been minimal, I think ten deaths recorded so far. It's seen as a 'Once in a century' event and typically has come at the end of a ten year drought. It's overall been a queer year. Down South where I am we haven't even had a summer yet! It's been very wet and quite cool with only a few days over 30*C. And before anybody starts ranting about 'Global Warming' remember that what has been predicted is greater EXTREMES in weather which would seem to tie in with this sort of oddness. Not saying its 'Evidence', simply saying that using it as an excuse to pooh-pooh man made impact on the environment might be premature.

Pete

That's exactly right. But this is no place to have that drawn-out discussion again.

If ya'll need some help, just shout out. Thanks, Jaap, for bring this up.

Hoping for the best,

J

I know some pilots working in Oz if you need your bike airlifted to dry ground ....

I just heard back from a fellow with a helicopter company and he and his family are OK but he expects to be flying fodder for animals soon. He says the scale of the flood can't even be comprehended from the air even!

The military will take care of the humans.

Yeah I need help I'm going stir crazy . to quote monty python BLOODY WEATHER. Gympie where I live has been very lucky this time round which is surprising as the Mary river floods in a big way. its been raining for about 4 weeks on and off yesterday the river rose about 4mtrs in 4 hours and one of the bridges into town is about to go under. It's pissing down as I type and its supposed to continue well into next week. Riding to Tassy in feb but the way things are going, although it may be drier down south roads there may be flooded or damage. This was also a year for the second attempt at a simpson desert crossing, is was flooded we we tried last year, now again mad.gif

Yeah I need help I'm going stir crazy . to quote monty python BLOODY WEATHER. Gympie where I live has been very lucky this time round which is surprising as the Mary river floods in a big way. its been raining for about 4 weeks on and off yesterday the river rose about 4mtrs in 4 hours and one of the bridges into town is about to go under. It's pissing down as I type and its supposed to continue well into next week. Riding to Tassy in feb but the way things are going, although it may be drier down south roads there may be flooded or damage. This was also a year for the second attempt at a simpson desert crossing, is was flooded we we tried last year, now again mad.gif

Gavo, if you're coming down the coastal route we have beds, beer, scoff etc. You'd be more than welcome for the night. Two or three comfortably but a few more at a push. Jude and I are off to Tassie on the Mana in Feb for a bit of a flog but check up first and we have a pretty 'Open Door' policy for Guzzisti.

Pete

Gavo, if you're coming down the coastal route we have beds, beer, scoff etc. You'd be more than welcome for the night. Two or three comfortably but a few more at a push. Jude and I are off to Tassie on the Mana in Feb for a bit of a flog but check up first and we have a pretty 'Open Door' policy for Guzzisti.

Pete

Thanks very much for the over pete,Only me and the missus so if we have time I'll at least stop in and say hello. we will be going down the Bathhurst to Goldburn rd So i won't be far. we have a ferry to catch on the 10th.

Gympie where I live has been very lucky this time round which is surprising as the Mary river floods in a big way. its been raining for about 4 weeks on and off yesterday the river rose about 4mtrs in 4 hours and one of the bridges into town is about to go under. It's pissing down as I type and its supposed to continue well into next week.

I hope you stay safe and sound!

Mary River Flood Warning

Flooding also around the Canarvon area/gascyone river not as bad as QLD well less people affected might be a better way of putting it. Fortunately not near either places.

Iwas doing work on the gas pipeline from Karratha to Perth and had to go out to Gascoyne juction about 27yrs ago. I remember sitting in the bar of the pub/shed having a beer and looking at the lines painted on the walls indicating flood levels from previous years and now on news footage it appears the pubs been washed away ohmy.gif

They did play an interview of a Belgian person living down under and she was saying very casually that as long as they can keep the crocodiles and the snakes away from their front door, it's all fine !

Apparently some towns are filled with wild life seeking some kind of more stable environment (the flooding make the rivers too streamy and fast for these beasts).

Interesting. That's what I thought also. Where do all those zillions of wild animals go actually? What I heard the flooded area is as big as Germany, France and Spain together. Indeed biblical proportions as Jaap said in the first post.

hubert

The wildlife is one of the reasons you shouln't wade through th flood waters, aprt from the obvious, and the not so obvious like submerged log floating past, it can be easy to meet up with say a brown snake swimming for his life and in an ugly mood. Also up north crocs move about with the water which disturbs feeding so they can be hungery, plus when the waters receed you can end up with crocs in swimming holes that never had any before.

The up side for me is I cant get to work and the powers still on but the rivers still rising so maybe another day or 2 before I can get to work or town