MAS12 motor in UK...

Dunno what they're gonna do with it but it seems MAS12 has been brought into UK by a company called Slipstream Tuning down South. I think I'm in love. Crank up the volume & enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOZm9Osiu0k

KB :sun:

EDIT: Just noticed ebay listing was on here before. What price did it go for? Apologies if it's been covered before but...Anyone know the relationship of this Mandello Racing motor to the Guzzi DOHC - VA10? Was it a precursor? What connection between Mandello Racing & factory? Thanks.

With an air-cooled motor, it makes sense to get the cylinders out in the breeze. On a liquid-cooled motor, it's just added drag [& the radiator is still shrouded behind the front wheel/forks... :rolleyes: ]

Once the V of the cylinders is set transverse, it makes sense to opt for a shaft drive, esp. on a police cruiser or touring mount. But shaft drives are negatively indicated for serious sporting use due to their greater unsprung wt. at the rear wheel.

As much as I love the Guzzi V-motor, it makes no sense to try to make a racer out of it: it started from a clean sheet engineering design focused at the opposite end of the motorcycling spectrum, and as such, does what it is supposed to do w/ aplomb. It just isn't the right design upon which to base a modern racer; in vintage racing against similarly handicapped competition, it does quite well. But no amount of modern technology thrown at it can make it anything other than an also-ran, because it's just not the right starting point for a modern racing motorcycle. :luigi:

:nerd:

I bet you don't have much time for Don Quixote either? :)

These things only race with other oddities anyhow, we're not talking MotoGP - it's the gesture: sometimes it's not what you do, it's how you do it.

Oh well, it takes all sorts!

...Anyone know the relationship of this Mandello Racing motor to the Guzzi DOHC - VA10? Was it a precursor? What connection between Mandello Racing & factory? Thanks.

Internet rumour says this engine once was shown inside the factory as an official works prototype. Personaly I don't believe this. They're no fools down there.

I'd suggest the way BMW choose after they had decided to press out a serious sportster. Who knows, maybe Piaggio will come up with a modified Moto-GP Aprilia in dark red with golden wings once the new rules for Moto-GP are out and valid.

Hubert

This bike and engine have nothing to do with the prototype va10 engine.

This bike is buld by Mandello racing team, guys from near Mandello. The engine is made by G&G http://www.fastguzzi.nl/gallery/main.php/v/variousguzzis/lbig.jpg.html

It first didn't sell on ebay, then said to be sold to Monza, but now in the UK.

http://www.mandelloracing.com

Thanks Jaap.

Did a bit of hunting around, couldn't find much on VA10 motor just these scraps:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4xsaf_moto-guzzi-va10-tg2-motori-il-motor_auto

& a V4 prototype...

There's some spec detail on the VA10 in Ian Falloons book - if anyone's interestd, but maybe someone knows where same stuff can be found on net -I'm not sure if I can post Falloons words & pics as a scan cos of copyrighht - Jaap?

Was the VA10 ever put in a bike? & anyone know about that V4 - I never seen it before?

VA10.jpg

V4_Guzzi_prototype.jpg

There's some spec detail on the VA10 in Ian Falloons book - if anyone's interestd, but maybe someone knows where same stuff can be found on net -I'm not sure if I can post Falloons words & pics as a scan cos of copyrighht - Jaap?

Don't think it's a real problem if you clearly name the source.

I don't think there is one pic with the VA10 engine in a rolling frame. First appearance of that engine was in 1998, 75° instead of 90°, developping 130hp with some injector problems (guessing, because it's too long ago, i don't remember exactly) capable of 135hp if everything worked fine. It was only half that big compared to the 4v Daytona engine of that day. Too bad it never got into production. Guzzi could have walked the Ducati way!

The MAS engine is probably a spin-off if you look the way the inlet and exhaustports are positioned.

The V4 engine only exists in wood. I think a Japanese tourist also noticed this wooden study model in the museum. They created a very succesful bike with it.

scan103.jpg