I could use some middle weight bike advice

I want a good townie/commuter bike that doesn't blast too much heat on me goes alright and gets at least 40mpg, so far the top choices about in order are a Dosoduro, a shiver(same bike kinda) a KTM super duke(reports say it'll get 38-42 stock) a KTM 690, a duke 2, BMW 650 or 800, but here's the problem I don't really want to spend more than 6k, 5k would be better and I'd be looking used obviously, I don't know much about the big 4 as to what they would offer in this category that may be better than what I listed but there is NO way I'm riding an SV, for some reason I just hate them, all other contenders are welcome.

I've seen plenty of low mileage super dukes for 6500-7500 duke690 would be tough, too new.

I also haven't counted out a Tuono or a Griso 1100 which can come real close to my price point.

I want a good townie/commuter bike that doesn't blast too much heat on me goes alright and gets at least 40mpg, so far the top choices about in order are a Dosoduro, a shiver(same bike kinda) a KTM super duke(reports say it'll get 38-42 stock) a KTM 690, a duke 2, BMW 650 or 800, but here's the problem I don't really want to spend more than 6k, 5k would be better and I'd be looking used obviously, I don't know much about the big 4 as to what they would offer in this category that may be better than what I listed but there is NO way I'm riding an SV, for some reason I just hate them, all other contenders are welcome.

I've seen plenty of low mileage super dukes for 6500-7500 duke690 would be tough, too new.

I also haven't counted out a Tuono or a Griso 1100 which can come real close to my price point.

Buell? The XB9 I rode got way better than 40, and had decent power. The BMW's are expensive to keep up with, so that wouldn't be my first choice. Too bad you hate the SV's...I think they're a lot of fun, and they are dirt cheap. What about a KLR or DR?

Buell? The XB9 I rode got way better than 40, and had decent power. The BMW's are expensive to keep up with, so that wouldn't be my first choice. Too bad you hate the SV's...I think they're a lot of fun, and they are dirt cheap. What about a KLR or DR?

I really like the buell idea, especially the cityx but don't they pump a lot of heat on to your legs? well I only test rode the Ulysses and it was murder after only like 15min I forgot about the buells, that might be a sweet option

I'm really leaning Dorsoduro or the DD as they like to be called, it is around 5-6k, its hot looking, So far all have been uber reliable, it gets me excited to ride, the ergos are good for my size, its a 750, gets 50mpg and doesn't create unbearable heat in traffic if you take out the cat

Aprilia%20Dorsoduro%20Black.jpg

Kawasaki makes a 650 Ninja that looks really similar to that bike. I seen a kid out on one yesterday actually and it sounded pretty nice coming up. Just another one to consider :whistle:

do you mean the KLR?

kawasaki-klr-650.jpg

or you mean the ER-6N?

2009_ER-6N.jpg

that might work and I'll keep my eye out but its a tiny bike marketed towards women and new riders, the seat height would be about my knee level BUT I wouldn't count it out I'll try and find one to get a look in person as I do like the looks and a parallel twin is always nice, definitely would be a great twist and go bike.

... I don't know much about the big 4 as to what they would offer in this category that may be better than what I listed but there is NO way I'm riding an SV, for some reason I just hate them, all other contenders are welcome.

Well, I echo your sentiments when it comes to the '03+ "pointy" SVs, but the "curvy" models ['99-'02] are some of the prettiest bargain bikes ever made, and I love mine to pieces. Don't know why Suzuki chose to beat on the SVs with an ugly stick after '03; too bad that they waited to release the SV1k after they'd "revamped" to the pointy architecture, as I'd likely have bought one if they'd brought them out w/ the looks of the curvy model. Oh well!

As someone else pointed out, if you're just looking for a cheap & cheerful commuter, you'd do well to consider a KLR or DR. Nothing beats a dually for around town as long as you don't have too long of a freeway haul to navigate...

Kawasaki makes a 650 Ninja that looks really similar to that bike. I seen a kid out on one yesterday actually and it sounded pretty nice coming up. Just another one to consider :whistle:

do you mean the KLR?

kawasaki-klr-650.jpg

or you mean the ER-6N?

2009_ER-6N.jpg

that might work and I'll keep my eye out but its a tiny bike marketed towards women and new riders, the seat height would be about my knee level BUT I wouldn't count it out I'll try and find one to get a look in person as I do like the looks and a parallel twin is always nice, definitely would be a great twist and go bike.

No thats not the bike I meant. There is a ninja 650R with a full fairing that looks pretty damn cool. You can find a few of them on ebay right now if you look.

Kawi is getting a lot of use in the model range with that motor. cheap as Borscht! Park it anywhere and who cares whats missing when you get back. That sounds like a commuter bike. How is the used Triumph market down there? Their parallel twin is very refined and comes in a range of interesting bikes directed at the urban user.

What about a used Triumph Street Triple. These get consistent high praise from moto publications, look like a blast to ride, and sound great too!

675cc's, maybe the bugeye headlights are a leave it or love it proposition. I kind of like them.

250px-Triumph_Street_Triple_675_front_left_threequarter.jpg

KLR650, XR650 or DR650.

All big bikes which would accommodate a tall rider, get excellent gas mileage, and are as reliable as gravity.

Want to ride it on the street, not dirt? Fine, use appropriate tires. Done.

I'm really leaning Dorsoduro ...

Ben,

BelfastGuzzi has got one of those & seems to really like it.

I'm another SV fan - for a cheap fun bike that'll work for it's living too. Agree with above; early styling was much the better. What you got so bad against them?

KB :sun: