rear shock gas pressure

2or4strokes

Not sure exactly what pressure is spec'd for that shock but in my experience 140 - 150 psi (around 10 bar I believe) is typical.

Not sure exactly what pressure is spec'd for that shock but in my experience 140 - 150 psi (around 10 bar I believe) is typical.

Hmm

9 bar feels a little harsh , I'm now trying 8 with compression and rebound at 1 position(minimum) . Ok maybe someone will know the exact specs although I think you're probably right because most suspension manufacturer recomends 9 to 10 bar.

Most manufacturers set the bike up to handle the bikes maximum GVWR I THINK. If you're under 180 and ride without a partner on the back the stock setup probably will feel too harsh. I replaced the fork springs with progressives from Hyperpro and still wasnt satisfied until I swapped the 10wt fork oil for a 5 wt. After that it seems to all work like its supposed to work. I would think the same applied to the shock. Try a lighter weight oil and maybe back the pressure off 5%.

The main purpose of the pressure in the shock is to prevent the oil from foaming. While the pressure does add a little to the stiffness of the shock that is not its primary role. If you want a softer shock change the spring or the oil/dampening.

The main purpose of the pressure in the shock is to prevent the oil from foaming. While the pressure does add a little to the stiffness of the shock that is not its primary role. If you want a softer shock change the spring or the oil/dampening.

Most manufacturers set the bike up to handle the bikes maximum GVWR I THINK. If you're under 180 and ride without a partner on the back the stock setup probably will feel too harsh. I replaced the fork springs with progressives from Hyperpro and still wasnt satisfied until I swapped the 10wt fork oil for a 5 wt. After that it seems to all work like its supposed to work. I would think the same applied to the shock. Try a lighter weight oil and maybe back the pressure off 5%.

Thanks to both of you for the info. Will try to find a lower poundage spring but do you know what can fit the white power or the standard ratings for the original springs?

Thanks to both of you for the info. Will try to find a lower poundage spring but do you know what can fit the white power or the standard ratings for the original springs?

It might be a good idea to change the oil in the shock to a lighter weight first. It will be cheaper than a spring and will definitely not do any harm. as long as you dont gain 100lbs or decide to haul a huge partner on it :grin:

If its still too stiff after that change the fork oil to 5wt. If its STILL too stiff after that then buy the lighter springs.

I'm betting the oil changes will surprise you.

It might be a good idea to change the oil in the shock to a lighter weight first. It will be cheaper than a spring and will definitely not do any harm. as long as you dont gain 100lbs or decide to haul a huge partner on it :grin:

If its still too stiff after that change the fork oil to 5wt. If its STILL too stiff after that then buy the lighter springs.

Hi Richard

You're saying that the original is 10wt and changing it to a 5wt helps. Any idea what is the quantity of oil needed at least originally?

Hi Richard

You're saying that the original is 10wt and changing it to a 5wt helps. Any idea what is the quantity of oil needed at least originally?

I dont know how much you'll need for your bike. My 01 rosso mandello uses 400ml in each fork leg, so if you buy a quart of fork oil that should be enough. Do the forks first, because I think thats probably going to solve most or all of your problem with the too stiff ride.