Mistral cans..

Trevini

I have a set of Mistrals and run them without any db killer- dunno about any advantage either way but they sound glorious without! although I do roll it down the hill at 5 in the morning to keep the neighbours on side!

It seems most of the EU has gone to the peculiar point where this is more of an issue ON track than OFF it. It used to be the other way round, right? I have no problems passing the equiv of MOT with non-baffeled Mistrals but afaik there is no chance I can use them like that on a track day.

That's a very valid point Raz. It does seem a little back to front. To be fair, mine's not too noisy when compared to my TDM running Remus Revolutions and both bikes actually sound surprisingly similar, probably due to the 270 firing order on the TDM.

DB killers are probably useful when you live in a quiet neighborhood or a gated community. Other than trying to keep the peace with the neighbors I dont see the need for them. They arent that loud if you keep the rpm's down anyway, at least not that much louder. I did read an article in Cycle World where California is going to ban the loud pipes because people either dont know how to behave or the politicians are trying to make people think about something besides the state being bankrupt.

• 2 weeks later...

weird, just had a look at my mistrals, and they don't have anything that looks like a db killer.

they're the carbon fibre ones. I wouldn't mind making the bike a bit louder actually, it does sound a little gutless.

any thoughts? I still have the standard crossover.

weird, just had a look at my mistrals, and they don't have anything that looks like a db killer.

they're the carbon fibre ones. I wouldn't mind making the bike a bit louder actually, it does sound a little gutless.

any thoughts? I still have the standard crossover.

I believe you have to buy a set of db killers from the aftermarket suppliers, but it sounds like you dont want them anyway. I have the FBF's on mine with the stock crossover and it seems loud as hell to me if i get the rpm's up past 3k. Can someone tell us if an aftermarket crossover will make the bike even louder? I know that getting rid of the stock air filter for K&N's will give you some extra honk on the go handle as I have them. Well I used to have them, now I have the velocity stacks with the foam filters.

I've just added a Mistral crossover to mine and it's quite a bit louder now (without db killers/baffles). So much so that I've put the baffles back in and it's about the same as standard crossover/Mistral cans/no baffles! Hell of a boost in the midrange with the new crossover - so much nicer to ride with even more grunt.

FYI the baffles I have are made by Mistral.

Can someone tell us if an aftermarket crossover will make the bike even louder?

Yup. My bike got a little louder when I added an FBF crossover to the MG Ti exhaust system that was already on the bike. It accomplished what I wanted, more grunt, so the slight noise increase was worth it to me. I think Greg Field posted a crossover comparison a few years back that probably has comments on changes in noise and performance.

Can someone tell us if an aftermarket crossover will make the bike even louder?

Yup. My bike got a little louder when I added an FBF crossover to the MG Ti exhaust system that was already on the bike. It accomplished what I wanted, more grunt, so the slight noise increase was worth it to me. I think Greg Field posted a crossover comparison a few years back that probably has comments on changes in noise and performance.

Here

I just bought mt first 2002 Le Mans with Mistral cans and the Mistral cross over installed. As a previous poster mentioned, it does sound a bit soft to me as well. So here's a couple dumb questions.

Are the Mistral cans marked in any way? Most after market pipes I've installed have their logos stamped on. These are just plain carbon fiber (more class than a large logo). They look great, and sound good when on the throttle hard, but not on idle. I just want to be sure they are what the seller said they were.

What do the baffles look like? Should I be able to see them looking at the can? I can't find pictures online.

My questions could just come from the fact that one of my other bikes is a Honda Superhawk with 2 Brothers on it...

I just bought mt first 2002 Le Mans with Mistral cans and the Mistral cross over installed. As a previous poster mentioned, it does sound a bit soft to me as well. So here's a couple dumb questions.

Are the Mistral cans marked in any way? Most after market pipes I've installed have their logos stamped on. These are just plain carbon fiber (more class than a large logo). They look great, and sound good when on the throttle hard, but not on idle. I just want to be sure they are what the seller said they were.

What do the baffles look like? Should I be able to see them looking at the can? I can't find pictures online.

My questions could just come from the fact that one of my other bikes is a Honda Superhawk with 2 Brothers on it...

No Mistral cans aren't marked in any way, though they do provide a couple of stickers which look a bit naff, so quite likely the previous owner didn't stick them on ( I didn't as they look much better without them). As supplied in the UK the Mistrals don't have any baffles at all - you can see straight through them - I think the "DB killers" must be an optional extra. And yes, the sound is quite muted at small throttle openings, but that's what I like about them - it means I can ride around town with an illegal exhaust without attracting attention from the police, and as you say they still sound great when you open it up.