Head Lamp problems

Lathca

My head lamp stopped working so I replaced the bulb thinking the bulb just went out. It still doesn't work with a new bulb. Any ideas? Is there a relay specifically for the headlamp somewhere?

My head lamp stopped working so I replaced the bulb thinking the bulb just went out. It still doesn't work with a new bulb. Any ideas? Is there a relay specifically for the headlamp somewhere?

Yes, the second relay from the front is the headlight relay.

Do you by any chance have a 4 pin relay in position 1, that won't work

Pull out relay 2 and measure for voltage at the top (30) contact, it should be there with key off or on.

Here's something that might help

Test Point Layout.pdf

Once you have established there's 12 Volts at the top of R2 you can check if it's picking. With the key On and engine not running the charge light should be on if not another way to confirm R2 is picking up by measuring the red/black wire at the regulator, that has 12V when the key is on and R2 is closed. If it doesn't your bike will not charge the battery.

Further along the 12V goes through a multi pin connector and to the front brake switch, you should see 12V there (key On)

If it's all OK up to there next thing is to check for voltage at the dimmer switch.

Check for Voltage at the lamp, it's also possible you have lost your ground connection to the chassis.

I assume you have checked the connectors.

I also assume the engine starts as normal and the tail lamp and brake lights go.

If you don't have a meter a 12 Volt lamp will do, connect one terminal to the chassis.

Regards

Roy

The relay for the headlight also controls a couple other lights as I recall, like dash lights and tail light (but not brake light). It is possible that the relay is not working (not un-common) but you have not noticed that the others are out. Or you could have a bad connection or ground, a broken wire, or a corroded/dirty connection.