U-joint life estimate

Angelo.M

Hi all ,

I replaced the driveshaft on a friend's V11 at 30K kms as a precaution .

Is there someone who can estimate the remaining life of the old D/S and repair the U-joints ?

Preferably in Europe ?

IIRC there was someone in Germany who did this, but search as I might , I couldn't find him . :huh2:

Any suggestions ?

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

The only problem that I recall is a forum member didnt line the marks up right once and it caused problems. I cant recall any u joint failures that werent related to bad alignment. I havent heard of a single one that has just worn out yet.

So, no explosions, break-aparts, or wheel-lock failures?

Or just no one to have lived to tell about it?

• Haha 1

My driveshaft appears to have been assembled incorrectly at the factory. It wasn't possible to completely align the painted marks (I could them them pretty close) as the splines wouldn't let me. With the 'best choice' alignment the yokes were still not lined up perfectly. I made it something like 60k miles before a bearing gave out and the tranny locked up. I've since rebuilt the tranny and taken the driveshaft to a good driveshaft shop where they aligned the yokes (cut and rewelded the driveshaft halves).

It's been about 12 thousand miles and all seems well. The u-joints are still in great shape with just regular lubing.

I'm contemplating a cross-country trip on it in a week so I hope it all holds together..

(We need a 'finger's crossed' emoticon. I just looked through them and nothing there seems applicable).

I love my V11. I really shouldn't (no rational man would after everything I've gone through with it) but I do... :mg:

johnk

My driveshaft appears to have been assembled incorrectly at the factory. It wasn't possible to completely align the painted marks (I could them them pretty close) as the splines wouldn't let me. With the 'best choice' alignment the yokes were still not lined up perfectly. I made it something like 60k miles before a bearing gave out and the tranny locked up. I've since rebuilt the tranny and taken the driveshaft to a good driveshaft shop where they aligned the yokes (cut and rewelded the driveshaft halves).

It's been about 12 thousand miles and all seems well. The u-joints are still in great shape with just regular lubing.

I'm contemplating a cross-country trip on it in a week so I hope it all holds together..

(We need a 'finger's crossed' emoticon. I just looked through them and nothing there seems applicable).

I love my V11. I really shouldn't (no rational man would after everything I've gone through with it) but I do... :mg:

johnk

Hmmm, "cross country next week . . ." Coming to the South'n Spine Raid on the TN/NC border??

Thanks for the feedback gents .

The old U-joints were regularly greased , I expect to find them in very good condition .

I did find some driveshaft firms in England and Germany .

Cheers

• 5 weeks later...

Does anyone have an actual drive shaft or U-joint failure to report?

YIP mine failed at around 13000miles, I replaced the joint with a sealed for life one and that did up to 24000miles so lasted nearly as long as the grease nippled original.....however this time I noticed a crack in the casting that the uj is pressed into so opted for a new shaft at £350...ouch! a repl u/j was £12!! an an hours work to change.

So far I have replaced rear wheel brgs,bevel box bearings, steering head brgs,prop u/j,four engine valves(bent),a failed timing cover gasket,relays,the hardening has just failed on the crownwheel in the bevel box so its a new one of those too,bikes now done around 26000miles....I so lucky I didnt buy a Honda..I woulda been so bored. :rolleyes:

So far I have replaced rear wheel brgs,bevel box bearings, steering head brgs,prop u/j,four engine valves(bent),a failed timing cover gasket,relays,the hardening has just failed on the crownwheel in the bevel box so its a new one of those too,bikes now done around 26000miles....I so lucky I didnt buy a Honda..I woulda been so bored. :rolleyes:

Jeez, my bike has done the same miles and i have only replaced the rear wheel bearings :bike::grin: I,m bored.

Jeez, my bike has done the same miles and i have only replaced the rear wheel bearings :bike::grin: I,m bored.

Well you either ignoring the long list of work you need to do or........your bike not spending much of its time bouncing off the limiter pulling wheelies an stoppies,chasing blades and R1s!!!!

My bike gonna need a new sidestand soon too....its ground away! :thumbsup:

• 3 years later...

Download the Workshop Manual and see Part O, side 8: “2 Transmission shaft” (forget the text about replacing the whole shaft). I have been so stupid that I have put the shaft together so that the paint marks were aligned – which was totally wrong. There were smaller markings (3 dots hammered in) which were the right ones that had to be aligned. The main thing is, U-joints, which must locate on the right position to each other. There is a picture on the manual, page 9.

http://www.thisoldtractor.com/moto_guzzi_misc_workshop_manuals___shop_manuals___service_manuals.html