Speedo issues

swortsoul

I see that it's fairly common on these bikes (2002 Le Mans) to have the speedo stop working. The day after I got my bike, mine stopped. The previous owner gave me another angle drive. It didn't work as well. Today, the speedo started working for 13.5 miles, then quit again. This is a Veglia speedo. When it was working, the speedo, the odometer and the trip meter all worked.

I've tried the following:

1. Pulled out angle drive, made sure that pin was in the transmission, rolled bike, look at the pin. It spins, so I'm hoping the transmission gear or whatever is there is ok.

2. Put the pin in the angle drive, spun it by hand. It spun on the other end.

3. Spun the side of the cable that plugs into the angle drive. The speedo needle moved, which made me think the cable and speedo itself were ok.

I did notice the rubber jacket of the speedo cable was split. See the picture to see what I'm talking about. It is a bit blurry since a dark garage, a flashlight, and an iphone don't make very good conditions for pictures... It doesn't look like the cable itself is damaged, but it's enough to make me want to replace the cable.

Any ideas on what to do from here? Thanks for any help.

2011-05-29 20.16.41.jpg

Hi swortsoul. Congratulations on your purchase. Have you verified that the square end of the speedo cable is properly mated with the angle drive?

I guess not. What's the proper way to install that? Should the pin be in the angle drive and then the drive screwed on? Or the pin in the transmission first? Sounds like from your reply that it should be in the angle drive.

So I just took off the angle drive again. This time, it would spin freely for a bit, but then there was a lot of friction at times. It felt about the same attached to the cable. I think I'm just going to replace both the angle drive and the cable. Those little drives are not cheap...

Have you tried to dismantle the angle drive, perhaps it's something you can fix.

Pull it apart and post a picture of the offending bits, someone may have the part you need.

You should also fix up the outer cable where it is damaged with some electrical tape, remove

the inner cable and make sure it's in good shape also.

• 1 month later...

The speedo is fixed. I taped the outer cable like you said. Replaced the angle drive. Pulled the cable out, cleaned it, then lubed it and put everything together. It's good to have a speed and odometer again.