John's starter problems.

callison

Hmmm, so even with the 20A fuse it still got to a point of failure. Perhaps it is a good idea to keep it fused at 15A.

Still on post 2000 bikes, it may make sense to add an additional relay to keep the current on a more direct path.

And 2000 models could use other improvements with the relay being more of the issue.

• 2 weeks later...

The full story on the problem starter:

I got a call from the repair shop that was repairing my starter, they said that the bendix was in poor shape. They could not get a replacement bendix but would clean it and reassemble with the new solenoid.

I have re-installed the starter with a 15Amp fuse on the starter circuit, it works fine so far :thumbsup:

I can trace the problem back to a sticking starter button which gave me some vexing moments one day about three months ago. The symptoms were a screeching wail (Is there a witch in the clutch?) every time I pulled the clutch lever. I figured out the problem after about five or six such wailing events. The little red starter button was sticking and each time I changed gear the starter engaged. This did wonders for my starter.

The moral of the story; If your starter circuit starts to blow fuses.....ask Carl :bike:

I can trace the problem back to a sticking starter button which gave me some vexing moments one day about three months ago. The symptoms were a screeching wail (Is there a witch in the clutch?) every time I pulled the clutch lever. I figured out the problem after about five or six such wailing events. The little red starter button was sticking and each time I changed gear the starter engaged. This did wonders for my starter.

...hrmm, yeah that would "do it" <_>

Mike had a similar issue with his wife's Ducati a while back if I recall.

al

• 12 years later...

Carl - 13 years on, your advice has helped me no end. I used your diagnostic recommendations, and after eliminating the other possible causes, got it down to a bad solenoid or starter motor. I bought a new solenoid ($40) and starter motor refurbishment kit ($16.99) from Euro MotoElectrics, and after a 3-hour rebuild, the bike fired up first time. And 2nd, and 3rd and 4th....

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.

Glynn.

• Like 1

I find Carl's drawings invaluable in helping guys to troubleshoot their guzzis.

To answer an earlier question yes I have measured just the solenoid current it's just a tad under 50 amps at the instant when the start relay closes but drops to about 10 in 20 - 40 milliseconds when the gear engages and the main contacts close.

In this case every now and then the gear wasn't engaging properly holding the main contacts open so the solenoid current remained at 40+ amps to pop the fuse.

There are many different faults that can cause the starter to fail, this mechanical one is quite rare I think.