Too much oil - where does it exit ?

GraeV11

In my never-ending efforts to keep all the oil inside the engine and not in puddles on the workshop floor, I have another question for you good folk. If there is too much oil in the engine where is it going to exit ? Does it cough it all over the top of the engine or somewhere else ? I have just replaced the breather hose as it was split and made a mess - I thought I had cleared it all up but now there is a dampness on top of the engine again. Think I may have over-filled slightly on a recent oil change so that is my first angle of attack. (I have plastic tube and syringe at the ready to draw some out). The oil level is just over the top of the max on the dipstick when bike is level. Thanks.

In my never-ending efforts to keep all the oil inside the engine and not in puddles on the workshop floor, I have another question for you good folk. If there is too much oil in the engine where is it going to exit ? Does it cough it all over the top of the engine or somewhere else ? I have just replaced the breather hose as it was split and made a mess - I thought I had cleared it all up but now there is a dampness on top of the engine again. Think I may have over-filled slightly on a recent oil change so that is my first angle of attack. (I have plastic tube and syringe at the ready to draw some out). The oil level is just over the top of the max on the dipstick when bike is level. Thanks.

It's probably still puking it out the breather if it's that full of oil, but on top of the engine, the banjo to the oil lines to the heads can be loose, or the phase sensor can leak. That's about it, IFAIK.

If you used the dipstick as MG say to use it (ie screwed in) then don't worry as most here suggest using the dipstick like a Honda (resting on the top thread) to avoid the oil pump sucking air when accelerating up a gradient.

I ended up doing a complete oil and filter change early on, carefully measuring the oil...ran it to ensure filter was filled, let it set overnight---then notched my dipstick (er, the engine dipstick) at the oil level with her sitting on the sidestand. The result was above the factory mark. All that to say, if it is just a little (a matter of perspective of course) over the factory mark when you have the bike upright...I doubt it will spill or cough oil (also noting that I have been known to overfill even my marked notch). I think it more likely as others suggest that you are experiencing seepage at the frame nut, the oil line banjo nut, the oil sender, or the ignition pickup. Also, the last time I had a "spill" from the frame/breather area as you describe, it took some time for all the oil to accept the effects of gravity...you may be seeing some of the remainder slough off. Keep smiling. k

I ended up doing a complete oil and filter change early on, carefully measuring the oil...ran it to ensure filter was filled, let it set overnight---then notched my dipstick (er, the engine dipstick) at the oil level with her sitting on the sidestand. The result was above the factory mark. All that to say, if it is just a little (a matter of perspective of course) over the factory mark when you have the bike upright...I doubt it will spill or cough oil (also noting that I have been known to overfill even my marked notch). I think it more likely as others suggest that you are experiencing seepage at the frame nut, the oil line banjo nut, the oil sender, or the ignition pickup. Also, the last time I had a "spill" from the frame/breather area as you describe, it took some time for all the oil to accept the effects of gravity...you may be seeing some of the remainder slough off. Keep smiling. k

Thanks. I think you are right, it is probably just the residue from when the breather hose gave up. I had a long run on it this morning and it was dry when I stopped . . . a similar feeling of relief to when my child had his first dry night !

Thanks. I think you are right, it is probably just the residue from when the breather hose gave up. I had a long run on it this morning and it was dry when I stopped . . . a similar feeling of relief to when my child had his first dry night !

Well someone up there does not like me. Dropped it on the way home tonight. It stalled as I was turning a sharp right straight out of the carpark and I didn't manage to catch it (a moment of not concentrating after a long day at work). Damn ! Just ordered new indicator, footrest, sparkplug cap, sparkplug, brake lever, bar end weight, rocker cover protector and mirror. the scuffed can, rocker cover and headlamp will have to wait until I am a bit more flushed with cash. My thigh is very bruised. Could have been much worse I guess - someone could have seen me do it ! :whistle:

Everyone has dropped a bike at less than 10 mph. It hurts you pride more than anything. We were riding to Cape Girardeau,Mo. Sunday afternoon and saw someone get off at a complete stop. It looked hilarious because he looked like a cheerleader doing a cartwheel falling off the bike. We turned around and went back to check on him and he suffered no pain but a bruised ego.

Everyone has dropped a bike at less than 10 mph. It hurts you pride more than anything. We were riding to Cape Girardeau,Mo. Sunday afternoon and saw someone get off at a complete stop. It looked hilarious because he looked like a cheerleader doing a cartwheel falling off the bike. We turned around and went back to check on him and he suffered no pain but a bruised ego.

It is funny how the adrenalin kicks in. I picked up the bike no problem in 2 seconds flat. I couldn't do that normally (not that I make a habit of dropping it you understand). At least it gives me an excuse to get those gold rocker cover protectors I was thinking about. :)

Oh yeah.... UltraMan has nothing on you then. I picked up my LOADED K100rs in a parking lot driveway like it was a 10 speed bike while stealthily looking to see if anyone saw me tip it over.