Any known issues with the buckets/cam lobes?

Splicer

The cam lobes and tappets are fed by splash. Any failure of oil pressure due to pick-up exposure or lack of oil generally would of killed the big-ends stone dead long before the tappets and cam died.

what may of killed them is the clearances being too tight causing the tappets to ride the cams. while most people are aware of the danger of a valve burning if the valve clearances are run too tight cam and tappet damage is also a very real possibility.

At least replacing the tappets and cam is pretty straightforward. You don't even have to disassemble the top end of the motor further than removing the rockers and pushrods. Remove the sump. Open the timing chest and remove the timing gear and phonic wheel and then after you've got the rocker gear and pushrods out joust pull the cam. The tappets will drop out. New ones can be inserted via the front cam bearing on the end of a big phillips screwdriver and glued in place by a libberal application of grease to the tappet so it won'tfall out. The new cam can then be inserted and secured, the engine re-timed and the timing chest buttoned up again. Re-insert the pushrods and rockers. Set the valve lash, re-install the alternator and rocker covers followed by the sump. add oil. Go ride.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Skeeve, That is alot of lash for a worn cam and lifters, sure the pushrod isnt bent? I have seen some worn cams on Guzzi's but usually the lobes wear and the lifters pit but that wouldnt cause more lash. I do have some pushrods if you need them.

Also, I wonder if going with Megcycle Cams would be any better materal wise?

Mike

Skeeve, That is alot of lash for a worn cam and lifters, sure the pushrod isnt bent? etc.

I think you meant to address that to Splicer... ;)

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I've got some pictures here:

https://plus.google.com/photos/101800996101419154554/albums/5631924300347451473

I think those should be public.

One set of buckets (not shown) is 1/8" more worn down than the other set. So I'm having to replace buckets, camshaft, and pushrods. And of course a few hundred dollars worth of seals and screws (thanks to having a quote from a dealer with all parts at 1000% markup—home of the $40 relay.) I'm trying to source parts now, and see whether the pushrods can be resurfaced. It looks like the camshaft can't be.

I don't even have a place to work on the bike myself if I were to try to learn how to rebuild an engine completely via the Internet. So I don't really have many options.

Spicer,

I have seen other V11 cams with wear on the lobes like yours, but have only seen slightly worn and pitted cam followers. I think one cheaper way to go would be to use a Megacycles 620x9 cam (I might be wrong, but I think other Guzzi owners have used this cam in their sport bikes). Megacycles is in San Rafael which is very local to you. I did call them yesterday to see if they had it in stock. Yes, they did, the cost is $429.00. The cam followers can be resurfaced (not the badly worn one) and then coated with a special process (can't remember the name). They suggested using Precision Products in North Carolina, this is where most shops send their Guzzi followers to be redone. I am not sure of the cost. Their phone number is: 828-684-8569. Megacycles also mentioned Die Werkstatt in San Francisco, they are a motorcycle shop and have sent cam followers to Precision Products, you may want to talk to them since you are local, they might be able to send them out for you. 415-552-8115

If you need a cam follower to replace your bad one, I should have one laying around. Are you sure your pushrods are worn? I would also check your rocker arms where they meet the valve for pitting/ wear.

One other thing Megacycle cams did bring up is that they are seeing alot more cam failure across the board, not just in Guzzi's. The main culprit is OIL, Oh no, here we go again with a Dino tread.

The theory is the goverment made oil manufactures take out or lessen the amount of zinc in the oil to help preserve the cat converters. Zinc is what non roller cams lifters/followers need for lubrication. The only oil at this point they can recommend is Red Line. What needs to be done is having an oil company just produce an oil that states just for off road containing zinc. This way all the old school machinery can survive.

Just a thought,

Mike

Thanks Mike.

The dealer price on the camshaft is $416, and I'm mostly interested in getting back on the road, not making performance enhancements. So right now unless I can source a used but usable camshaft, I'll just go with the

I did go over to Werkstatt to talk to Ed Milich, who is not officially working there but anyway he told me that the pushrods are AOK. That will save me a bit of money. Dealers tend to replace stuff rather than bothering to look and see if the old part is still good. But he agreed that resurfacing the camshaft would be dicey at best.

Thanks for getting back to me, too. I'll contact you off-line if not later today then over the weekend.