Rear Axle Stuck

danl

I was trying to remove the rear wheel last night to get a new tire fitted, but the axle seems to be frozen to the needle bearing spacer on the drive side. The nut has been removed and the axle rotates freely with an allen wrench, but does not want to come out. I can see the spacer rotating with the axle.

Has anyone else been through this already? I thought I remembered reading about this problem here before, but wasn't able to find anything by searching.

It is soaking in PB Plaster at the moment, and I'm going to give it another shot tomorrow, but I figured I would see what you all had to say before I resorted to barbarianism!!

Thanks,

Dan

Purchase a BRASS drift punch as close to the axle diameter as possible. You do not want or want to create problems...... Use it an a bood hammer to drive the axle bolt/ shaft out of the axle. It does have to be smooth with no rust upon reinstallation. Before you put it all back together, be sure the nut threads back on to the bolt easily. If it doesn't go to a machine shop to have the threads repaired.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I figured it just needed some more force, but I wanted to see if anyone had run into serious trouble doing this. I was able to get the axle free using a more convincing hammer and a piece of wood to protect the end of the axle. I also had a friend of mine sit on the right side and push against the swingarm with his feet to prevent it from flexing out too much.

Last time I replaced the rear tire I used a fair amount of wheel bearing grease on the spacer and the needle bearing. Apparently I need to pull the rear wheel more frequently than that to keep things happy and protected from the elements back there.

Dan

Also clean and re-grease that cushdrive, plus a list of other stuff much easier to do now, said list easily found in another part of this site which I can't recall off the top of my head :huh2:

When the rear wheel is out it's much easier to bleed the clutch and grease the front U joint if neither has been done in a while. :luigi: