Anyone Interested In Ordering Mike Rich Pistons With Me?

Mike Stewart

I could see finding people to buy the California pistons being more difficult, mainly because I don't believe they have the ping issue like the Sport models.

When I talked to Mike Rich a while back, he ordered 14 sets of pistons (for the V11 Sport) and was going to keep a set on the shelf, well someone also purchased that one. He did say that another batch would most likely be made. I am just happy that it was a win, win situation for all parties.

Maybe you should put the Sport pistons in your California along with the larger valved heads? Another way to go is with the FBF pistons, but then you might have a ping issue afterwards.

Just a thought,

Mike

I have a standing order with Mike for two sets for a Cal series engine when they get made. Last year I tried to generate some interest on WildGuzzi but no luck. So maybe there are a few here that are interested? John

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the heads I have on this one, dual plugged and ported with Sport throttle bodies, Mike said he got almost as good of flow numbers as the race bike. I also have a Megacycle cam, the old Norris SS grind. So it runs well. Doug Lofgren made the ECU map using FIM Ultimap software. It will ping on 87 octane if thats all I can find on the road and it is hot if I'm not careful.We took a group of timing out around 4K rpm.NO ping ever with 92 octane. Since I drag a sidecar, I need some more power to eliminate the inconvenience of having to downshift to 4th about 90mph when pulling a long hill on the interstate. I already have 7/33 gears and a ten spring clutch.I think the added compression is just what it needs and at 140K miles I would like a fresh set of pistons.I like the idea of SportI heads but I don't have any and wouldn't want to loose air velocity with the bigger valves especially after Mike's work has made these flow so well. The extra set of pistons is for my friend who has mostly LeMans&Sports and wants his Cal to run better. Cheers, John

• 4 weeks later...

In a phone conversation with Mike Rich, he advised that head gaskets are available with nominal thickness of .060" and .045" and he recommends the .045" version to take advantage of the higher compression allowable with the new pistons. I just received ones from Moto International with part number TL300220600000 that measure about .062" thick, marked with the number 1.5, which I suspect means 1.5 mm thick.

Does anyone have a source and part number for the .045" gasket?

Thanks - Troy

I purchased my headgaskets from Mike Rich, hopefully they were the .045 thickness because I didn't know there were two different thicknesses :homer: He did say use factory (Guzzi) base gaskets because they were made better and didn't split over time, so I too went with Moto Internationl on the other parts I needed for the bike. They get the parts out fast and carry alot for a Guzzi Dealership! :thumbsup:

Also, how do they figure out the headgasket thickness sizing, is it the new gasket thickness or the calculated gasket thickness when installed :huh2:

Mike

In a phone conversation with Mike Rich, he advised that head gaskets are available with nominal thickness of .060" and .045" and he recommends the .045" version to take advantage of the higher compression allowable with the new pistons. I just received ones from Moto International with part number TL300220600000 that measure about .062" thick, marked with the number 1.5, which I suspect means 1.5 mm thick.

Thanks - Troy

I purchased my headgaskets from Mike Rich, hopefully they were the .045 thickness because I didn't know there were two different thicknesses :homer: He did say use factory (Guzzi) base gaskets because they were made better and didn't split over time, so I too went with Moto Internationl on the other parts I needed for the bike. They get the parts out fast and carry alot for a Guzzi Dealership! :thumbsup:

Also, how do they figure out the headgasket thickness sizing, is it the new gasket thickness or the calculated gasket thickness when installed :huh2:

Mike

Thanks - Troy

Mike,

I just talked with Mike Rich and confirmed that my new gaskets are the thick ones. He didn't have an immediate source for the thin ones. However, he's restocking his thin ones, to be available in January. So I'll wait for them.

Thanks,

Troy

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe you should put the Sport pistons in your California along with the larger valved heads?

Just a thought,

Mike

Mike I see the wisdom of your suggestion so I'm looking for a set of injected Sport heads and manifolds and would only use Mike Riches pistons, I think they are a much better product than the FBF's. After I find a set of heads, I'll send them to Mike Rich for a stage one port and dual plugging. I spose I better give him a call to see if some year heads are more desireable than others. So if anybody has a lead on some heads, please let me know, John