MyECU by Cliff Jefferies

sign216

Is MyECU from Cliff Jefferies still a viable replacement for a current factory unit? Their website

MyECU is dated, with no new developments, and it can be hard for one man operation like his to stay on top of things.

My 2009 V7C ECU has a ROM error preventing a TPS reset. Rather than throw money at it, I'm thinking of getting a MyECU kit from Cliff Jefferies for $260. The ability to set my own map would be great, but it wonder if MyECU has kept up with the Guzzi factory.

Joe

I bought a couple of kits from Cliff recently (but have not had time to build them, hopefully over the winter). He seems very on top of things and it seems that it is more of a case of the Factory trying to catch up to him. His ECU seems better then the factory units in that they are more adjustable.

I have never heard negative stuff about cliff and his product.

+1 on MyECU visit his websites

http://cajinnovations.com/yabb0/YaBB.pl

http://www.jefferies-au.org/MyECU/technical_site_map.html

I wouldn't recommend assembling one yourself unless you have good soldering skills

When I got mine I had to salvage the connector and pressure sensor from the stock one

but I have since rebuilt it as it as a spare.

You need to tell Cliff all about your bike, exhaust setup etc so he can start you off with the best map.

As for a one man operation, he has several dedicated users making suggestions and Beta testing.

Roy

My 2003 Rosso Corsa used to run poorly around 3000 rpm. My Rosso Mandello did not have this disease, -and it had no Lambda sensor. So I ripped the Lamda sensor off the RC and replaced the original ECU with one from the pre-Lambda periode. According to the seller, this ECU should also be slightly tuned (don't know how and how much, though...).

The result was very good. The bike runs nicely and clean from bottom to top, and pulls nicely. The fuel consumption went slightly up though (from 0.58 l/10km to around 0.63 l/10km).

What would I eventually gain from changing this ECU to a MyECU?

I know MyECU is serviceable in case something happens, but could I expect the bike to run even smoother, faster, pull better, use less petrol, or what?

May be stupid questions, but I just wonder. A good rule is to not touch what works well, but then again one might miss some adventures...

My 2003 Rosso Corsa used to run poorly around 3000 rpm. My Rosso Mandello did not have this disease, -and it had no Lambda sensor. So I ripped the Lamda sensor off the RC and replaced the original ECU with one from the pre-Lambda periode. According to the seller, this ECU should also be slightly tuned (don't know how and how much, though...).

The result was very good. The bike runs nicely and clean from bottom to top, and pulls nicely. The fuel consumption went slightly up though (from 0.58 l/10km to around 0.63 l/10km).

What would I eventually gain from changing this ECU to a MyECU?

I know MyECU is serviceable in case something happens, but could I expect the bike to run even smoother, faster, pull better, use less petrol, or what?

May be stupid questions, but I just wonder. A good rule is to not touch what works well, but then again one might miss some adventures...

Bjor, I think with MyECU you get to make your own map for the ECU. This is a benefit if you have problems to solve, or want to maximize performance, but since your bike runs well it's up to you.

My bike has a bad ECU, so it's an easier decision for me. My soldering skills are good, but I am daunted by having to make my own map. Turning a wrench is fine. Making a 3 dimensional computer map is a little different.

It's not like you have to start from scratch, it comes with a map and there is lots of help from the other users.

I am currently running a map e-mailed to me by Raz, he ran a bike like mine in closed loop (self tuning) so

I figured it was a good place to start, changing from one map too another is just a mouse click.

Bjor, I think with MyECU you get to make your own map for the ECU. This is a benefit if you have problems to solve, or want to maximize performance, but since your bike runs well it's up to you.

My bike has a bad ECU, so it's an easier decision for me. My soldering skills are good, but I am daunted by having to make my own map. Turning a wrench is fine. Making a 3 dimensional computer map is a little different.

Thanks, -that's how I have judged it myself.

I still have a feeling I will buy one some day. Optimizing things easily becomes an addiction to some of us...