For those of you interested

I am literally in the process of buying a 09 Dorsoduro 750 with 7k on the clock upgraded rear shock and front springs/oil, billet levers and covers, a gel seat and akropovic exhaust installed. $6750 but it's in florida and shipping is $450 :(

Hey, at least BFG might find it interesting. I have ridiculous bike ADD when I'm in the market for one. I wouldn't go as far as to say I hated my Duc ST2, what's a stonger word than hate? wouldn't start in the cold, wouldn't want to even cruise in the cold, didn't like the heat, didn't like to stay charged, was a walloy pig at slow speeds and the fairings(and ergo's) even with a laminar lip were no better than the RSVR I had. I got LESS wet in the rain on the RSVR. So I dumped 1k into it and put on 2k miles over a year, I've done worse. I was able to sell it for what I paid for it less the few upgrades and new starter :angry:

I will post up some pics when I get it and I've already told myself the next bike needs to be a griso(newer and less problems than BFG's though) I wonder if BFG knew my mom 30 years ago. . . :lol:

Just as well you got rid of the Ducati. the engines really are just a pile of shite! I borrowed an ST2 in New Zealand last February, nice handling, fairly comfortable, but after a $1000 tuneup, I was told that the belts could not be changed, the covers couldn't be removed as the nuts inside the plastic were spinning. So after being told to nurse it for next 3 weeks, running 3500-6500rpm, the engine literally physically exploded, yes, the engine cases blew apart!!!! in the middle of nowhere!

Never, NEVER will I EVER buy a belt drive Ducati EVER!!!

BTW, the Aprilia will be a great bike, well done.

Steve

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am literally in the process of buying a 09 Dorsoduro 750 with 7k on the clock upgraded rear shock and front springs/oil, billet levers and covers, a gel seat and akropovic exhaust installed. $6750 but it's in florida and shipping is $450 :(

Hey, at least BFG might find it interesting. I have ridiculous bike ADD when I'm in the market for one. I wouldn't go as far as to say I hated my Duc ST2, what's a stonger word than hate? wouldn't start in the cold, wouldn't want to even cruise in the cold, didn't like the heat, didn't like to stay charged, was a walloy pig at slow speeds and the fairings(and ergo's) even with a laminar lip were no better than the RSVR I had. I got LESS wet in the rain on the RSVR. So I dumped 1k into it and put on 2k miles over a year, I've done worse. I was able to sell it for what I paid for it less the few upgrades and new starter :angry:

I will post up some pics when I get it and I've already told myself the next bike needs to be a griso(newer and less problems than BFG's though) I wonder if BFG knew my mom 30 years ago. . . :lol:

Just as well you got rid of the Ducati. the engines really are just a pile of shite! I borrowed an ST2 in New Zealand last February, nice handling, fairly comfortable, but after a $1000 tuneup, I was told that the belts could not be changed, the covers couldn't be removed as the nuts inside the plastic were spinning. So after being told to nurse it for next 3 weeks, running 3500-6500rpm, the engine literally physically exploded, yes, the engine cases blew apart!!!! in the middle of nowhere!

Steve

To be fair to Ducati's any badly maintained belt drive engine is going to let go in a big way eventually !!

It sounds like that particular ST had been seriously mistreated, as the ST2 is basically a 2 valve 851/888 motor it is pretty tough and if maintained correctly reliable.

Steve

To be fair to Ducati's any badly maintained belt drive engine is going to let go in a big way eventually !!

It sounds like that particular ST had been seriously mistreated, as the ST2 is basically a 2 valve 851/888 motor it is pretty tough and if maintained correctly reliable.

Yes, maintaning a machine is important. In this case, the belts did not fail. I was pampering the bike because they could not be changed at the time. actually, there was a catastrauphic gearbox failure that blew the engine cases apart, the bike was singing along at 110km in 6th, go figure.

Steve

Yes, maintaning a machine is important. In this case, the belts did not fail. I was pampering the bike because they could not be changed at the time. actually, there was a catastrophic gearbox failure that blew the engine cases apart, the bike was singing along at 110km in 6th, go figure.

Although the belts didn't fail the fact that the covers could not be removed would seem to indicate that the 2yr belt change had been missed (maybe several times !!) and probably oil changes also,which could explain why the gearbox let go.

I went to NZ in January so know what you mean about the "middle of nowhere" !! :lol:

Steve

Yes, maintaning a machine is important. In this case, the belts did not fail. I was pampering the bike because they could not be changed at the time. actually, there was a catastrauphic gearbox failure that blew the engine cases apart, the bike was singing along at 110km in 6th, go figure.

sadly they also sell a case saver because the chains like to let go once in awhile and embed themselves inside the crank case. I would love a 1098 if I made twice as much money as I do now, even if I got the Duc for every man money those tune ups and upgrades are $$$$$ ugh. I'm not a Duc hater just not a fan of the work they need. I just want to ride.

can we go make a movie with it this weekend? I'll try and get Zack on his new Griso 8v and we'll do gopro and more in some curves of your choice?

I could totally be up for that, stupid thing won't have a plate till I get the title from him like wed, but I'll bring the bill of sale and the proof of insurance with me and risk it for how much fun this thing is

photo8-1.jpg

photo11-1.jpg

photo10-1.jpg

I put a helmet on and went to get gas

(notice what sweatshirt I put on)

he also included a nice waterproof bike cover and a massive aprilia banner I can hang in the garage and all the original parts except the exhaust, AF1 has that.

Ok, not sure if this should go here, or elsewhere, but here is my issue.

I have an 02 V11 Lemans. It is the tightest, most well put together, stable, fun, just feels great, bike I have ever owned. (I'm 50 and have been riding since 5). I have an 09 cali vintage. Good bike but it is light, loose, somewhat unstable, noisy (engine noise, not pipes), just not even in the same ballpark as the Lemans. My wife has an 81 convert, and it is more in personality like the Lemans than the cali vintage.

So here is my issue. I want to get a sport touring bike to get away from my big v-twin tourers (I have a Kawi Voyager now- think HD Ultra classic but bigger).

The Norge- is it going to be like the Lemans, or like the cali vintage?

Ok, not sure if this should go here, or elsewhere, but here is my issue.

I have an 02 V11 Lemans. It is the tightest, most well put together, stable, fun, just feels great, bike I have ever owned. (I'm 50 and have been riding since 5). I have an 09 cali vintage. Good bike but it is light, loose, somewhat unstable, noisy (engine noise, not pipes), just not even in the same ballpark as the Lemans. My wife has an 81 convert, and it is more in personality like the Lemans than the cali vintage.

So here is my issue. I want to get a sport touring bike to get away from my big v-twin tourers (I have a Kawi Voyager now- think HD Ultra classic but bigger).

The Norge- is it going to be like the Lemans, or like the cali vintage?

like the cali but more refined, by far. The thing is a bit of a boat and doesn't like cross winds, the fairings and bags seemed a bit more plasticy and cheap in person than I had hoped. Not the best fit and finish on a guzzi I've seen. There is just something about the V11 I feel it is the pinnacle of their transverse v-twin which is funny because it was done as a retro.