neutral issue

hgravelpha@aol.com

when i first bought my 2001 v11 new, i was having problem with the false neutral. took it to orange county motorsport and they told me that they can disconnect the neutral something completely or put two wires together but the downside would be that i cannot start the bike with the kickstand down. i agreed but now would like to put it back to its original state. what did they disconnect or connect? i cannot find any loose wiring. the neutral light has not come on in 9 years.

The sidestand relay (could also be called the Neutral relay) is connected in parallel with the sidestand switch

The current either passes through the switch when the stand is up or the relay when the stand is down and

the bike is in neutral

Guzzi Wiring - Simple.pdf Shown with stand up

And the big picture from Carl c/w wire colours

http://www.thisoldtractor.com/guzzi007/schematics/1999_V11_sport.gif

A couple of pictures of the switch, you may have to pull the starter to get access.

Neutral Switch.pdf

Start by shorting the neutral switch wire to chassis, you should see the light come on and hear the relay pick up.

You can test the switch with a multimeter between the terminal and chassis, it should only be grounded in neutral. I don't have any experience box internals, someone else will have to help you there.

My guess is they disconnected the wire between switch and relay.

I hope you didn't take your bike back to that shop!

Hi, Thaing! Nice to hear you're still working that V11!

The change had to be made to the neutral switch, its wiring , or its relay.

The switch is on the left side of the gear box (is there a wire still connected to it?)

The relay is the middle one in the row (Is it still there, under the seat?)

Ride well, docc

• 4 weeks later...

i was able to ground the wire from the neutral switch and the neutral light came on. i then removed he neutral switch and it appears fine. i then plug the wire to the switch and ground it with the plunger pushed in and the key on but no green light. does this mean that they did something to the neutral switch or something internally? do i need a new neutral switch or do i need to do something behind the plate? i think i can rule out the relay as a culprit?

It sounds like they must have adjusted something inside the gearbox to fix the false neutral

That in turn ruined the switch, Your testing proved it was the switch at fault.

I think you will need to pull the cover off to ind out why the switch is not working.

Sorry, I haven't had mine off so I don't know what to expect in there.

what is the part number for the neutral switch? where can i buy one online. nearest dealer is 45 miles away even living in la, ca.

Part number is 192072 20.

Can you remove it and test it off the gearbox? It seems so unlikely they would have removed the sideplate just to disable the switch . . .